Has anyone tried the Boss Super System?

D

Deleted member 4366

It's not clear whether the £1500 is for the 36v version or 48v one. I guess the former, which will give it about the same performance as my 500w Bafang CST kit. I have a 20aH battery instead of their 15 aH one, and I got my complete kit including battery for £500, which makes theirs seem rather expensive. I can't get a good look at their motor, but I can see that it's a cassette one like mine. It wouldn't surprise me if its a cheaper Xofo or MXUS clone. The performance in the video looks more like what I'd expect from about 3kw. I think there's a bit of show in it. I wouldn't expect even the 48v to go like that with an inexperienced rider. If you want something for the road, you can get really nice kits from MXUS and Xofo with plug-and-play waterproof wiring harness for a fraction of the price, with a nice battery in a frame bag from Em3ev.

Alternatively you can get one of Franks's Xipi bikes with everything done.

Last edited by a moderator:

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
This might not seem entirely relevant but the ecyclist in the marketing video for them and the bikes pictured are somewhat different. The pictured kit shows a frame mounted bag/pannier and a somewhat average kit, the video shows a somewhat better kit and what I assume to be a much smaller battery in a rucksack(or he has a back made of steel taking those jumps). Also notice the huge bunch of wires in the pics and not in the video... is sad to say this but if they owned/made the bike in the video they would have used it in the pics and not some much more fugly looking conversions.

You might also like this from ego-kits. The rider/kit is somewhat similar with the rucksack setup.

youtube.com/watch?v=i8R-AK1qAmA

Make of that what you will.

Lakeland

Pedelecer
Feb 10, 2014
Oh wow..."it will be great when there are no chairlifts around" now that looked like fun! but in reality that's just pro riders with high end spec mountain bikes with ego kits showing off. still a cool vid tho. :cool:

philwood90

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 25, 2014
Ive ridden it........... at there York shop. Nice and quick, but I didn't think it was worth the £4500 they wanted for it. It was very Heath Robinson wires and cable ties ever where.

philwood90

Feb 25, 2014
It's not clear whether the £1500 is for the 36v version or 48v one. I guess the former, which will give it about the same performance as my 500w Bafang CST kit. I have a 20aH battery instead of their 15 aH one, and I got my complete kit including battery for £500, which makes theirs seem rather expensive. I can't get a good look at their motor, but I can see that it's a cassette one like mine. It wouldn't surprise me if its a cheaper Xofo or MXUS clone. The performance in the video looks more like what I'd expect from about 3kw. I think there's a bit of show in it. I wouldn't expect even the 48v to go like that with an inexperienced rider. If you want something for the road, you can get really nice kits from MXUS and Xofo with plug-and-play waterproof wiring harness for a fraction of the price, with a nice battery in a frame bag from Em3ev.

Alternatively you can get one of Franks's Xipi bikes with everything done.
This is a photo of the hub motor used in the BOSS system, Snapped it after a test ride. Couldn't see any other markings on it other than BOSS on the other side.
IMG_0268_2.jpg

D

Deleted member 4366

That's interesting. It's a 48v Bafang CST with a code number on it like you get on the BPM. I've not seen that before. In fact, I don't think I've seen a 48v CST before. It's marked code 9, which means 352 rpm. That's about 25 mph; however, I'm not sure if you get a 33% increase on that speed with 48v. I didn't think you did, but they're claiming 30+ mph, so it's probably 33mph.

philwood90

Feb 25, 2014
There was no speedo on the bike, so no idea on its top speed, other than felt quick without peddling

TETS

Apr 6, 2007
Been looking at the Boss Super System from the Electric Transport Shop

http://www.electricbikesales.co.uk/shop/conversions/boss-super-system/prod_805.html

Been trying to look for reviews but only found the ones on their own site.

Has anyone got one?

Are they as good as they claim?
Hi WoodenCrow, thanks for starting the chat regarding our BOSS system. It is very good and you are welcome to come and try it at any of our stores. With the BOSS system we have tried to get the best reliable performance for the weight and we are confident we have achieved this. It can be difficult to compare electric bike systems because many look the same and share cases and parts. All of the components on the BOSS system have been customised for us and are not available with our configuration elsewhere. I appreciate the points raised about the KTM Lycan - this was one of the 1st BOSS bikes we did and the fitting process and wire harness have improved since this version. We spend most of our time in front of customers or doing shows promoting ebikes so please forgive some old photos on our website. We know our website needs some love....:) Just so everyone knows the KTM Lycan is an Austrian made dual suspension carbon fibre mountain bike with high end components and the full list price with the BOSS system fitted is £4500 inc vat. It's not often I would suggest a £3500 ebike is a good deal, but I believe this is the case with this bike. The video is using our stock BOSS system without any trickery. It was made by a customer who also happens to be a downhiller and a film student (this covered one of his projects). He had the standard 48V18Ah Xtreme battery pack in his backpack. I'm not aware of any back injury as a result...as pointed out by Clockwise it is not uncommon for downhillers to have the battery in the backpack. I hope that's helpful. Any questions please email me sales@electricbikesales.co.uk

Andy Cornwall

Just Joined
Nov 6, 2014
Been looking at the Boss Super System from the Electric Transport Shop

http://www.electricbikesales.co.uk/shop/conversions/boss-super-system/prod_805.html

Been trying to look for reviews but only found the ones on their own site.

Has anyone got one?

Are they as good as they claim?

Hi,

I'm down in Cornwall and had been looking to put an electric kit on a bike I built, It's a scandal On-One with RockshockReba front sus, Mavic rims and XT everything, the bike was a bit over a grand to buy all the bits and I put it all together and set it up, Then I was seriously ill for some time so couldn't use it anymore, I loved cross country and a bit of downhill. Due to what happened to me that would not be an option any more!
I saw the Boss system online and called The shop in Bristol, gave them info on the bike and they said they could convert it for me, they don't sell the kit for DIY.
I took the bike up and Chris did the job for me, I didn't know what to expect really but the guy advised it wouldn't be the bike I had and it would get me home if I couldn't. He wouldn't give any ideas on range etc. it's not easy to predict "it depends"
The bike's been done to a very high standard, Chris has done a really good job, the cable are neat very secure, seem impervious to the ingress of damp and dirt. I can't believe how good it is. The handmade battery bag is a work of art, it fits perfectly and holds the battery and controller neat and tidy. Most people don't realise it's an electric bike, I am about 80 Kg the bike was 24lbs it's a lot heavier now and I don't think it's going to fit on my bike rack any more, being unable to put the rack support through the frame. I went for a thumb throttle, The battery level meter is very basic it's not a nice digital one. Range!: The furthest I've been was 30 miles from sea level up to the top of Carn Brea, round the various tracks, down to the sea level on the North coast and back nearly all off road, pedaled but never broke into a sweat anywhere, went up some horrible horse trashed paths I couldn't have cycled up when I was OK all with no problem. the battery monitor had dropped to half and wasn't coming back to full on no load and no perceivable loss of performance
(it's the extreme edition with the 48V battery

In conclusion, it's not cheap, but it seems you get what you pay for, I've had it for a while now and done some miles round some of my favorite trails, I really can't fault it. It would be nice to have a battery monitor but it would also be nice to have a 44t chain device for the front sprocket. Note! the 22 and 32 rings are well and truly obsolete. And Yes it will do 30,

Since getting this one, I've looked for a kit or bits to convert a spare bike for the wife, It's not so easy.

All the Best,
...Andy

Reactions: TinKitten

Advertisers