Help - Bosch 500wh Battery issue

DIG

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 8, 2018
preston
Following a ride yesterday I was putting gear away when I noticed my Bosch 500wh indicator lights were flashing. The first three bars would illuminate for about 2seconds, then go out for 8seconds, and repeat ad infinitum. Pressing the indicator button did nothing. Putting it on charge did nothing. I contacted the dealer who had never seen this before, but contacted Bosch while I was on the line. The advice was to hold the indicator button for about 10seconds to reset the battery. Unfortunately the button didn't have any effect. It was also suggested to check for cracks in the battery case as water may have found its way in, again nothing obvious.

I had to go out for an hour, so left the battery on the garage floor well away from anything (just in case).
When i returned the battery had returned to normal and could be charged, the button was operating as expected.

The dealer has booked me in tuesday morning to run a full diagnostic to hopefully shed some light on the situation.

Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon?

D

Deleted member 4366

Was the battery in a highly discharged state? You get random LED faults like that if it gets over-discharged (a cell voltage too low). After it's rested a bit, the voltage would climb back into the safe zone, so everything would be back to normal.

You'd need the Bosch battery tester to get the code out of the battery to confirm what the fault was.

DIG

Jan 8, 2018
preston
Was the battery in a highly discharged state? You get random LED faults like that if it gets over-discharged (a cell voltage too low). After it's rested a bit, the voltage would climb back into the safe zone, so everything would be back to normal.

You'd need the Bosch battery tester to get the code out of the battery to confirm what the fault was.
Thanks for the reply d8veh.
The battery was showing 3bars when I completed my ride, a short 10mile but stiff climb circuit from Sedbergh up The Calf and back. It was a cold sunny morning with light snow on the ground. I have previously completed rides of 28miles and 3000ft+ climbing getting down to 1bar of battery, so I was nowhere near battery limits.

Perhaps as you say, a cell or two could be going faulty I guess.
Hopefully the bike and battery diagnostics on tuesday will shed more light on it.

Summit of The Calf before descending into the mist, snow capped Lake District in background.IMG_20180126_103647.jpg

Attachments

DIG

Jan 8, 2018
preston
UPDATE
Bike put on diagnostics and no error codes logged. Everything working normally now, so will have to monitor in future and hope condition doesn't re-occur. At least it is logged with supplier and Bosch now should it re-emerge later.

Advertisers