Help with bike

memac

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 21, 2016
Hi there i was asked to start a new thread and post some pics after my first post. This was the post i made (Hi there new to all this and this may not be the correct place to post this. I seem to have made a complete mess of buying a motored wheel.I am 56 and unfit I work as a private hire driver my neighbour offered me an older ebike with a 250w motor however due to the fact that I am about 30 kilos over the max load capacity it struggles even on very slight inclines.So silly me thought a bigger motor would help so I bought a 500w motor then on doing some research (yes I now know I should have done this first) I find I cannot fit this to the bike as it is not legal in the UK and it would basically be a moped and would need to meet all the same requirements otherwise I would be putting my driving licence at risk of points or a ban which would not be very good I feel that if it is not legal to use the wheel then it should not be legal to sell said wheels in this country.) I should also mention that I live in central Scotland in an area called the braes so hills everywhere lol anyway I will post the pics hopefully you can give me some help.

Attachments

memac

Mar 21, 2016
I think i have posted this thread in the wrong place can a mod move it thanks.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Hi, and welcome.

First off, changing the motor for a bigger one won't make any difference, unless the one you have is broken.

The amount of power is regulated by the controller, by modifying the current (Amps)

It's possible to modify the controller to give a bit more current by applying solder to the shunt. Someone can talk you through this if required.

First off though, you should check the battery is OK. Have you got a multimeter, and can you tell us what voltage the battery gives when fully charged?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

memac

Mar 21, 2016
The battery is 36v I had a friend test it with a multimeter and a megameter he says the voltage on the meters is just over 37v when fully charged

D

Deleted member 4366

Just over 37v when fully charged means that the battery would be scrap. Please check it again when you're sure it's fully charged to confirm that voltage. It should be around 41v to 42v if healthy. Did you use the proper charger?

Which new motor did you get?

memac

Mar 21, 2016
Well if that's the case about the battery the I have been ripped off as it is a brand new battery lol when I say fully charged I should have said it was fully charged I then rode the bike to his house best I could do The motor I got was 36v 500w..

D

Deleted member 4366

Your answers are very nebulous. we can't help you unless you do what we suggest and give specific information.

memac

Mar 21, 2016
I used the charger that came with the battery it is on charge right now when it is fully charged I will walk to his house to get it tested.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Well if that's the case about the battery the I have been ripped off as it is a brand new battery lol when I say fully charged I should have said it was fully charged I then rode the bike to his house best I could do The motor I got was 36v 500w..
We know its 500w which is good but where did you get it from and the make of hub.

memac

Mar 21, 2016
On checking the battery when fully charged the reading is 42v

D

Deleted member 4366

Show us a photo of your 500w motor. we'll know what it is even if you don't. a link ti the listing you bought it from would have helped. You need to help us to help you.

42v shows that your battery is probably healthy. If it's new, you can turn up the power a bit. Are you sure that it's 42v because I had it at the back of my mind that those bikes were 24v.

Under the battery is a compartment with two plastic sides held on with a couple of screws on the side and a few small screws around the edge. You need to remove one side to get at the controller inside. Pull it out and photograph it to show the label and all the connectors. Remember, we can't see what you have. The photo/s need to show it clearly.

Last edited by a moderator:

memac

Mar 21, 2016
The listing says wheel is in the UK and it was quick delivery I did email seller via ebay and it said seller was registered on another ebay site and may not speak my language.

memac

Mar 21, 2016
Will have to do that tomorrow as i have a few hours work through the night and will not have time before I go thanks for the help guys.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
I should also mention that I live in central Scotland in an area called the braes so hills everywhere lol anyway I will post the pics hopefully you can give me some help.
Maddiston, Brightons, Reddingmuirhead, Shieldhil, Wallacestone or California? ;)

memac

Mar 21, 2016
Sorry guys it looks like I have wasted your time the only thing that is legible on the controller is the year of manufacture and that is 2007. The other thing I noticed is that the wheel on the bike is a 24v 250w wheel. Can you me tell how the 36v battery will affect the hub motor.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Sorry guys it looks like I have wasted your time the only thing that is legible on the controller is the year of manufacture and that is 2007. The other thing I noticed is that the wheel on the bike is a 24v 250w wheel. Can you me tell how the 36v battery will affect the hub motor.
It will likely be OK at 36v, it'll go a bit better than with a 24v battery.

When I've over volted stuff I notice an increase in speed, but not much increase in torque, which is what you need. Increasing the current will likely give more toque, but the question is how much more an already over volted motor will take.

When you say you bought a wheel, do you mean you purchased a kit, with a new controller?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

memac

Mar 21, 2016
Yes that is what i meant there is a link to the listing for the wheel above.

Advertisers