I built the CHEAPEST Chinese EBIKE!!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
Pretty misleading title though. £4000 to build an e bike is hardly the cheapest.
Not what i was expecting.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
4k could buy 3 or 4 good Woosh bikes.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
To be fair to him, the bikes he is hoping this will stand comparison with on performance are at the top end of the carbon framed full suspension world, and compared to those very expensive bikes this bike is good value.

Soundwave took another route to get good value by buying a top end e mountain bike second hand from someone who had bought one and then sold it quickly, taking a hit on what he had paid new.

When I bought my crank drive Yamaha Haibike new in 2015 it was the first year that Haibike had offered bikes with the Yamaha motor system and at £1,750, seemed good value to me, as at that price it was only a few hundred pounds more than a ready built hard tail mountain bike with Chinese motor system.

Back when I bought my bike in 2015, the next cheapest Haibike hard tail mountain bike had a Bosch system and was a wopping £500 more.

I specifically wanted a crank drive for off road use. Components make a huge difference to price. When I bought my entry level bike there were other Haibikes that used exactly the same Yamaha motor system that cost close to £10,000.

I agree with him about the drive train. Crank drive bikes wear out drive trains and they are all now pretty good and my humble 9 speed system has a good gear spread and costs a fraction of the cost of the top of the range.

I bought three cassettes last Christmas off amazon of all places that cost £12.95 each delivered. You really cannot complain at that price.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
To be fair to him, the bikes he is hoping this will stand comparison with on performance are at the top end of the carbon framed full suspension world, and compared to those very expensive bikes this bike is good value.

Soundwave took another route to get good value by buying a top end e mountain bike second hand from someone who had bought one and then sold it quickly, taking a hit on what he had paid new.

When I bought my crank drive Yamaha Haibike new in 2015 it was the first year that Haibike had offered bikes with the Yamaha motor system and at £1,750, seemed good value to me, as at that price it was only a few hundred pounds more than a ready built hard tail mountain bike with Chinese motor system.

Back when I bought my bike in 2015, the next cheapest Haibike hard tail mountain bike had a Bosch system and was a wopping £500 more.

I specifically wanted a crank drive for off road use. Components make a huge difference to price. When I bought my entry level bike there were other Haibikes that used exactly the same Yamaha motor system that cost close to £10,000.

I agree with him about the drive train. Crank drive bikes wear out drive trains and they are all now pretty good and my humble 9 speed system has a good gear spread and costs a fraction of the cost of the top of the range.

I bought three cassettes last Christmas off amazon of all places that cost £12.95 each delivered. You really cannot complain at that price.
Yes, I am glad my 2019 Giant Trance E+3 was fitted with a 10 speed chain and sprocket. It seems once you go to 11 or 12 speed replacement prices head to the moon. Needless to say later models went up!

• Agree
Reactions: georgehenry

Trickyh

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 16, 2021
Even reading the title annoys me . Typical YouTube clickbait. But then I am a grumpy old git and need to go into a freezing cold garage and finish building my CHEAPEST emtb EVER!! (No returns)

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
Even reading the title annoys me . Typical YouTube clickbait. But then I am a grumpy old git and need to go into a freezing cold garage and finish building my CHEAPEST emtb EVER!! (No returns)
clickbait I hate is MUST WATCH (always in upper case)

eg:
Old lady puts the bins out! MUST WATCH!

Related Articles

Advertisers