Identifying/changing shimano shifter

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Hello.

This shifter came with my Wisper 905 4 years ago, and I've grown to like it, even though it's not as sleek as more modern versions.

Can anyone here pin down the model?

Also, how complicated are shifters to change? The cable etc is all in place on another bike, but I'm not keen on the shifter, and would prefer one like this old Shimano if possible.

Ta.
Allen

shimano.jpg

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Thanks Dave. Those on ebay are for front/rear shifting (3x6, 3x7, etc)., but they certainly look very much like mine.

I'll have a Google around to see if I can pin them down to the 1x7 version (I'm assuming, in my ignorance, that it matters...)

A

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Having had a Google around for 'Shimano Tourney/TY SL-TX50', turns out even Amazon do them (and they're cheapest).

A lot of the bike sites seem to copy each other's copy and use the phrase 'pair of' even though that only applies if you're buying two separate shifters, one for front, one for rear cogs. Just to confuse the likes of me.

Anyway, having pinned them down, how about Part 2 of the question? How easy are they to change?

A.

D

Deleted member 4366

Bolt them on; thread the cable through; fix the cable to the derailleur; adjust the cable position. As long as you know how to put a cable on your gears, there's nothing else.

D

Deleted member 4366

All Shimano shifters work on all Shimano gears as long as you have the right number of speeds. They also work on most non-Shimano gears.

Zeffer

Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2014
That's great news. I shall be changing mine very soon then. Slightly off topic now. Can I change the rear cassette for another seven speed one without changing anything else or would the whole chainset need replacing? I ask because I don't have enough gears - the low end is fine but I keep spinning out in gear 7, which on an e-bike I am in most of the time. I wondered about an 11 tooth one rather than 14.

D

Deleted member 4366

You need a DNP free-wheel set with 11T top gear instead of your present 14T.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Reverting back to my Shimano shifter, I've had a look round and it seems they only made them up to 7-speeds.
For no good reason, I've got an 8-speed cassette on my new bike.

Thus, if I really want one of those Shimano tourney shifters, does it mean I have to change the 8-speed cassette for a 7 as well, or is there an easier way round it?

Ta.
A

D

Deleted member 4366

You might be OK or not. It depends how far it pulls the cable compared with your present one. You might find that you just lose top or bottom gear, depending on how you set it, or the indexing might be slightly out, so the changing in the middle gears is not so precise.. I'd try it, and then, if you get problems that you can't live with, change the gear cluster. The gears are not expensive. Do you have cassette or free-wheel gears?

Advertisers