Import charges on importing eBike from the US to UK

carlnunn

Just Joined
May 6, 2020
Hi, I am thinking of buying an eBike form the US (a Nireeka Homie for $1,888). When I asked they said I would have to pay VAT and no import duty, but I would like to make sure. Is anyone abel to advise. Thanks

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
I have bought a couple of things from the US, mainly through eBay, I always get charged import duty, which makes it a comparable price buying it from the UK, that's the whole point. Not 100% sure about the eBike though. Only other thing to mention is, are you able to get spares and service for that particular bike over here. Would be a pity if something went wrong and you were stuck without support. And if there was a warranty issue, you would struggle. I specifically bought my Cube Ebike from a local dealer, so I could take it back if there was a problem. Thankfully so far no problems, but a saving now might be a curse later. Just a point. Having had a closer look, you might have problems as it is a 22MPH bike...illegal in Europe. Nice looking bike though ;)

Last edited:

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Nireeka Homie - is in moped class so you'd need to do extra paperwork and validation to ride on public roads.

Alternatively the Nireeka Street is a UK legal pedelec with the 250W Bafang motor.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You will pay duty and vat plus the courier process fee which will likely be DHL, FedEx etc,etc.
Courier fee is usually flat rate at about £12.

Depending on the duty to pay depends on the HS code for the item (HS/Harmonised system code used world wide for products).

Last edited:

Related Articles

Advertisers