Importing e-bike components from China

Steve Neville

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 4, 2012
Has anyone tried importing e-bike components from China? I'm considering getting a 250 watt front and 500 watt rear motor plus controllers for a 2 wheel drive off-road project I'm working on. The prices are good but the Customs and VAT seems to add a considerable chunk; they even tax the freight cost. If it works it will be awesome!:confused:

optimistx

Just Joined
Jan 1, 2014
Espoo, Finland
Has anyone tried importing e-bike components from China? I'm considering getting a 250 watt front and 500 watt rear motor plus controllers for a 2 wheel drive off-road project I'm working on. The prices are good but the Customs and VAT seems to add a considerable chunk; they even tax the freight cost. If it works it will be awesome!:confused:
I have the same problem as you have. Air freight, including postal parcels, cost around 5 - 10 USD /kg from China to EU. A shipment of one container of 32 m3 ( 6 meters long) BY SEA might cost only about 2000 USD. Sea freight of less than containerload (LCL) might be possible at reasonable cost per cubic meter (say somewhat over 2000 USD/32 m3 = over 65 USD/m3), but I have not found yet a shipping company to take my parts from a factory (Chang zhou hua yu xin feng meachanical&electronic co.,ltd) near Shanghai to Helsinki.

One has to pay VAT and customs duty about the value of the goods AND its shipment, when importing legally to EU.

I have used one good pedelec kit from China during one year to my full satisfaction. I purchased that from EU. The price in China (without shipping, VAT, customs) is less than 1/3 of the price which I paid here. The factory in China needs a minimum of 20 kits to sell and ship as surface freight. Perhaps I would gather a group to purchase so many kits together... Or anybody knowing a factory + shipping company to offer a better solution? (= good product, small minimum quantity and willingness to ship as surface freight)

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
I imported a 350W 36V Bafang CST (keep your 8/9/10 speed rear cluster!) with controller,throttle,led
I ordered a Bafang kit from ELifeBike.com. It cost me US$261 for a 36/48V 350W CST (cassette Freewheel) kit with motor in wheel,controller,LED,PAS and throttle. Paid an extra $6 for 2 Big Controller cases as well. Then chose the cheaper shipping SGEMS for $121.71.(£267.10 in total Paypal transfer) This is using local country mail systems and fliying from Singapore. Once in the Uk (Birminham) it goes through customs organised by Parcel Force.I was sweating a bit at first as the parcel takes a few days to enter the tracking system. My first 'sucess' using the number I was given and the EMS tracking website was that it was registered and ready to fly from Singapore.(Parcel Force tracking had the same info I found out later) From then on it was quick. Parcel force (if you are in the UK) will inform you of the duty and charges due.and you can pay on collection. The good news, although not guarantied I suppose, is that the customs label stated goods worth $92 for Contoller case and Controller! So I was billed £20.96 for Import VAT, no duty cos' it was below a set level and £23.5 for a clearance fee for Parcleforce. So total was ££301.56. Ordered in the evening of the 24th. January, payment 4 days later and also the kit was sent off. I was not able to verify the tracking till Feb 4th.when I found it had entered the system.I picked it up from Parcelforce depot in Inverness on 12th.Feb. So 15-16 days from parcel being posted to arrival. That is nearly as good as UPS, DHL etc who charge eyewatering prices and, so I hear, stonking clearance fees. I would have bought in the UK but couldn't find any cassette (and Disc) versions. It also is the standard 135? cm rear dropout width so no bending of my expensive Giant Full Suss frame! I had thought of the Bafang Mid Motor but it is just too low mounted to be any use in more serious downhill trails like at Wolftrax in the Scottish Highlands.

D

Deleted member 4366

I've had about forty deliveries of ebike stuff from China. I always click the cheapest shipping. From the shipping date, it takes abouut four to seven days to arrive. The most duty/import fees I've had to pay for one shipment is about forty quid. The average order is between two and four hundred quid.

DHL always invoice you about two weeks after the delivery and they chase you to the death to get it. Parcelforce won't deliver until you've paid. One of the others tries to make you pay before delivery, but they still deliver if you don't pay. To save hassle on that occasion, I paid the driver. I don't know what happens if you don't pay him. One of the other common ones invoices you, but if you ignore it, you never hear from the again. In fact, I don't think any of them other than DHL have followed up. A couple of times, I've had invoices attached to the parcel, which I ignored and never heard again.

Moral of the story: Avoid DHL and Parcelforce if you can.if you can. The problem is that you don't know who's going to pick it up this end. BMSBattery stuff is always DHL.

Advertisers