Improve stopping power?

Zeffer

Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2014
Went for first decent ride of 20 miles yesterday - fabulous. The bike ate the hills and my wife who has real knee issues was fine. However, the v-brakes on a 25 kg bike were even worse than I'd thought. Full braking takes far too long, no chance of stopping in an emergency.

Just wondered if there is anything I can do about it? Would better pads help? Any recommendations? Can they be changed for a different type of brake? I assume that disc brakes are out of the question as I am guessing you need special attachments on the frame?

Any advice welcome.

D

Deleted member 4366

I was going to suggest the same. You need to make sure your rim is true and central.

Zeffer

Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2014
Great, many thanks will give them a go. It has to be an improvement on what I have at the moment.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
And keep a close eye on the wear indicator on your rim!!

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Maybe try some quality pads first, I live with steep hills and find decent V brakes quite good, most of my bikes with them can lock up both wheels, I do have a very strong grip though.
Mind you that Magura does look quite nice.

Reactions: Zeffer

Zeffer

Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2014
Maybe try some quality pads first, I live with steep hills and find decent V brakes quite good, most of my bikes with them can lock up both wheels, I do have a very strong grip though.
Mind you that Magura does look quite nice.
Are there any you would recommend - reviews seem to vary wildly on amazon? Thanks

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
In the past I just bought what was available at the LBS (not the cheapies though), It's been years since I had to buy any due to health and the trikes and MTB having disc or drums.
I also spend a bit of time getting them aligned perfectly.
I am at least a couple thousand k's of needing new ones on my Tonaro.

My old chopper bike originally had 18kg of SLA batteries on a 25 kg bike + motor and I had no trouble locking up both wheels if needed they were Kmart quality pads! the bike was so long and low that it would just wiggle severly with both ends locked up, certainly no lack of stopping power from the brakes

EDIT, I just thought are your frame and fork V mounts solid? there is a device called a V brake booster that will remove any flex in the mounts increasing stopping power significantly on a weaker frame, front forks now days with the suspension forks and the brake arch tend to be fine but might be worth a look at thr rear mounts.

Last edited:

MikeRo

Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2014
Maldon CM8
You could also swap the forks for a rigid steel set with disc mounts and fit a hydraulic brake- used parts on eBay would only be about £35 for forks and £35 for brake...

Advertisers