In-line wire connectors, what a great idea :)

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Now I don't know if I'm late to the party, but I saw a YouTube video today, showing a neat little product for joining wires together:

The actual one I'm on about is around the 4 minute mark in the video and is this product at B and Q:

https://www.diy.com/departments/ideal-industries-orange-32a-in-line-wire-connector-pack-of-10/1473915_BQ.prd?storeId=1050&ds_rl=1272379&ds_rl=1272409&ds_rl=1272379&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIl6aU4Kmr-gIVz9_tCh0SMgqPEAQYASABEgJtJfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Just looks so much easier to use than trying to fiddle around with connector blocks and crimps.

I'm sure someone's gonna tell me they've been out for years :D

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Ove seen these and similar but I do worry they can't handle th amps we need. I've never tested or used them though. I like me soldering iron!

Maybe others do have experience?

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I'll tell you that Wago have been available for years! In multiple formats.

https://www.screwfix.com/search?search=wago

But the last house I had to do several bits of wiring, the cables were so short in the back boxes, it was effectively impossible to use Wago or any other connectors. (I think it had been built during a copper shortage so every inch of cable they could save, they did. And fully plastered in.)

Where I am now is fantastic. Loads of cable and hollow plasterboard which allows much flexibility.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Crimps?!!!! On Mains ?!!!!!! Arghhhh - he's 'avin' a larf !
Wago's are the way to go, either the pushfit or lever connectors. Unlike screw connectors they don't come loose over the years.

Lost count of how many times I've found myself in this position in old propeties, where the socket will only come an inch or so away from the wall. How it got connected in the first place--------?
As an apprentice (God, how long ago was that?) I was taught to take the cable once around the box before cutting. Can be a bit tight with two cables of a ring but doable, and gives plenty to access the back of the socket/switch for connecting.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I was taught to take the cable once around the box before cutting.
Seems obvious! But if they are trying to scrimp on copper...

Also, the backboxes were not full depth. I'm not there now, but if you simply replaced a socket, even with same locations for the wire, it was tough. I'd choose the shallowest replacement socket to make it slightly easier.

Advertisers