In the overseas (channel...) category

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I just ran into this prototype pedelec which I haven't seen here - even after a search. http://www.schaeffler.de/remotemedien/media/_shared_media/08_media_library/01_publications/schaeffler_2/brochure/downloads_1/micromobility_bio_hybrid_fact_sheet_xxl_de_en.pdf

The PDF above includes lots of prototypes some very sexy. The bio-hybrid itself can be seen on youtube

This one I really like, miles ahead of the Elf. I can see a sporty version with lower roof, one seat and why not s-pedelec? Great design, I find it much more interesting than the Sinclair design we saw recently.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I agree, much better than the Elf and I really like the design. Since it will obviously be heavy with hills affecting it badly, it would be best as an L1e-A, pedelec assist speed rules but 1000 Watt rating permitted.

As an S pedelec it could only be 500 Watt rated so the weight would be a problem on many hills.

• Informative

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Hmmm.. Let's see, 48 V (legal max.), 500 W nominative motor with 35 Amp controller, 1.68 kW... :rolleyes: Hey that is about 2 hp! Show me the hills!

In the PDF they say that the prototype weighs 80 kg and the target weight for a production version is 60 kg. The elf is 90 kg.

• Informative

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As an S pedelec with bigger capacity battery for the speed and a decent range combination I'm betting it would stay nearer the 80 kg than 60 kg.

Add average person with a few kilos of shopping and a 20% or steeper could be tough with a more typical 1000 watt peak.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I don't think it is better I think it is different and replies to a similar need in a different context. The podride won't work in my climate 10 months of the year, the bio-hybrid will be uncomfortable 2 months of the year.

Compared to the Sinclair the podride opens the right way and is easy to get in and out of. The bio-hybrid is more of a city vehicule: designed to park vertically to take up less space for example.

We are at the beginning of a very exciting period, the more the merrier of these personal EVs I say.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
We are at the beginning of a very exciting period, the more the merrier of these personal EVs I say.
I do wonder about takeup though. Sadly the Renault Twizy is being withdrawn from the UK, and we never did have its lower speed version.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

Advertisers