In today's paper

lectureral

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2007
Suva, Fiji
At the risk of starting up the whole controversy I was interested to see this from Henry Marsh (author of the excellent book Do No Harm: Stories of Life, Death and Brain Surgery) in today's paper - it pretty much coincides with my view:

Henry Marsh, who works at St George’s Hospital in Tooting, London, said he had treated many cyclists after road accidents and that the standard helmets used did were not robust enough to be of use.
In his controversial remarks, Mr Marsh went as far as to boast that he has cycled for 40 years, had only fallen off once and that the closest thing to a helmet he wears is a cowboy hat.
“I see lots of people in bike accidents and these flimsy little helmets don’t help,” he said at the Hay Festival during a discussion with Ian McEwan, whose last novel Saturday had a neurosurgeon as its protagonist.
“I ride a bike and I never wear a helmet. In the countries where bike helmets are compulsory there has been no reduction in bike injuries whatsoever.
“I have been cycling for 40 years and have only been knocked off once. I wear a cowboy hat and cowboy boots. I look completely mad.”
He cited research by Dr Ian Walker, a professor of traffic psychology at the University of Bath, who found that motorists drove around 8cm closer when overtaking cyclists with helmets.

Advertisers