"Incident" last Friday...

NZgeek

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2013
Whangarei, Northland, New Zealand
So I'm merrily buzzing my way to work, just cleared an intersection having some major work done, then one of those annoying pedestrian crossings, where they put an island in the shoulder, right where I ride. Grr.

Next thing I know, there is a Paper recycling truck beside me, in the central median (ok over here). I assume he's passing, but then his LEFT indicator turns on! I thought he was passing me, then turning into the Hospital further up (where I am going)... but no, he's turning into the side road DIRECTLY to my front/left!

I braked hard, and had to turn into the road with him to avoid his truck.

Judging from his attitude/comments when I asked him what he thought he was doing, he was aware I was there.

I phoned the Police, but of course the guy drove off after emptying the bin behind the shops.

However, the police asked me to pop into the station, which I did. They called me later in the day and got some more details. Then today (Sunday, Mothers Day here in NZ) an officer comes to visit me at home, got my side of it, went to visit the "gentleman" driving the truck, then calls me back to say it's all sorted.

(Plus gave my nearly 2 and nearly 4 YO boys a demo of the Police cars lights, Siren, and even the dispatchers on the radio said Hello to them)

I didn't ask the penalty, but the Officer had suggested a NZ$150 (75 pound) fine for failing to give way to me, unless the guy was a dick, then he was going to push it further :cool:. I was happy, the guy might think twice next time... and next time could have been someone less capable than me!

So... anyone want to guess where my helmet cam was???

The Postie tried to deliver it, about an hour after the incident :rolleyes:. Story of my life!

Reactions: Emo Rider and Wicky

Advertisers