Is it possible to derestrict Volt bikes?

Shigaru

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 1, 2016
I appreciate you taking the time to respond. That's a real shame if it is password protected.

Twangman

Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2012
London
Unfortally there seems no way you can now deristrict the Volts LCD unless you know the password your not the first to ask or have tried.. Until they brought out the wave LCD earlier volts just used a generic King meter display which is easy to deristrict. Once deristrict the motor is capable of doing 37kpm on the flat.

Shigaru

Apr 1, 2016
Thanks for the reply. 37kpm would be ideal!! What a shame there's no way around it! Doh!!!......perhaps someone will come up with something in the future.

Spacesquirrel

Just Joined
Apr 5, 2016
This was my reply from volt bikes :
Hi

I’m afraid it is not possible to increase the top speed. Our motors are not limited, this is just the top speed of a motor that size.

D

Deleted member 4366

You need to get the controller and display as a set to be sure. Check you present connector on the motor first, then you can replace everything else for about £60 to guarantee no speed limit.

Shigaru

Apr 1, 2016
I wish i had looked into this before i bought the bike, I've seen how easy it is to increase the speed on other makers bikes. It just bugs me that i can still comfortably cycle considerably faster with my normal mountain bike.

I don't think Volt would ever give you the password anyway as that would open them up to legal issues if they did that.

D8veh. What would you recommend replacing it with if we were to consider it? Is there anything in particular?? And would it be easy to do?

Cheers.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Volt should be congratulated to password protect their bikes, it's for the good of their customers as much as theirs.
A protected bike will last longer because it is used well within what it is designed for. A good example that other suppliers should follow.

Shigaru

Apr 1, 2016
I'd say they do it for legal reasons and not really for the welfare of people as I think most people can still cycle faster than 15.5 mph.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
nobody says that you can't go over 15.5mph, but you should do so under your own steam, with assistance withdrawn (that's what the protection is for) or at least reduced to just compensating for the extra weight of the electrics.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Prior to getting an ebike I compared my mph on the more level roads and found I traveled faster than the cut off speed of the Grace I was getting.

Therefore I reduced what I did on these stretches of road to match the speed the replacement might be expected to do.

So when the new bike arrived I had acclimatised to the reduced speed on the flat stretches, I made up for it on the inclines to give a reduced time overall. Apart from extending the journey by three times as was more fun & less tiring.

I still go faster on occasions as the Bosch motors reduce the assistance gradually and i can only tell by looking at the screen. Having my ears covered reduces the sound of the motor that might otherwise be a giveaway.

It knocks spots off the sudden stopping of the cheaper types of motors. That would be annoying.

• Useful

Shigaru

Apr 1, 2016
Yeah, that's my problem. I live in London which is nearly always flat so i find myself easily reaching the 15.5mph max speed. As a result i find myself working extra hard to go a bit faster. Bearing in mind the weight of the bike that's quite a lot of extra hard work.

All I was trying to say is that 15.5 is a bit too slow on a flat road as that can easily be surpassed by peddling on a normal bike. Perhaps I bought my E-bike a bit too early on in life ;-)

Reactions: Am5000 and trex

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
if you want a Chinese bike with tapered power at over 15.5mph, get a bike with a LED display instead of LCD.

• Agree

Am5000

Apr 8, 2016
South Wales
Hey Shigaru. I have a volt pulse, I love it but want some more speed. Did you ever find out the password? If you press up and M together you get a screen that says Def? Y/n if you select yes and press M, then you go to a new screen where the readout is 0000 I presume that's when you need the password which I don't have and there are quite a few combinations. I emailed volt today and they directed me to their new bike with massive tyres which goes 23mph. Great I thought, I can get 26 of i Pedal my ass off and it's great up hills, but I wish I could tap in to threat extra speed.
Yeah, that's my problem. I live in London which is nearly always flat so i find myself easily reaching the 15.5mph max speed. As a result i find myself working extra hard to go a bit faster. Bearing in mind the weight of the bike that's quite a lot of extra hard work.

All I was trying to say is that 15.5 is a bit too slow on a flat road as that can easily be surpassed by peddling on a normal bike. Perhaps I bought my E-bike a bit too early on in life ;-)

Am5000

Apr 8, 2016
South Wales
You need to get the controller and display as a set to be sure. Check you present connector on the motor first, then you can replace everything else for about £60 to guarantee no speed limit.
Great advice D8Veh can you suggest a controller LCD to try? Is the King Master a good option as it's already set up for the Volt bike?

Shigaru

Apr 1, 2016
No, unfortunately, i haven't got the password. I think switching out the LCD controller may be an option by the sounds of it.

Which type of tyres was he referring to when he said you could reach speeds up to 23mph with?

Am5000

Apr 8, 2016
South Wales
i have removed the mudguards, and got skinny slick tyres on mine suitable for bikes and commuting, and i can get 26mph out of my bike if I give it the beans, I'm basically putting my bike on a diet, and building my own ebike from a cyclotricity kit (500-100W) in a few months using an old mountain bike with slick tyres

Am5000

Apr 8, 2016
South Wales
I figured its better to make the best of what you have rather than butchering what you have, then move on to the next project where you won't invalidate your warranty

• Agree

Advertisers