Is it possible to derestrict Volt bikes?

Shigaru

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 1, 2016
Wow, sounds like an interesting project. It will be interesting to hear what kind of speeds you get. Wish i were that handy!

So which tyres did you get your Volt as that's something i could consider?

So the bike doesn't max out at 15.5 with thinner tyres.

Shigaru

Apr 1, 2016
Am5000, are there any tyres in particular you are using on your Volt bike which give you that increased speed? I'm just curious to know which ones in particular you are using as i may try it myself. Thanks

Am5000

Apr 8, 2016
South Wales
You need to get the controller and display as a set to be sure. Check you present connector on the motor first, then you can replace everything else for about £60 to guarantee no speed limit.
I took this picture of the underside of the bike, I'm sure its a speed sensor, just don't know what to do next

Attachments

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
That is your PAS.

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

Am5000

Apr 8, 2016
South Wales
Am5000, are there any tyres in particular you are using on your Volt bike which give you that increased speed? I'm just curious to know which ones in particular you are using as i may try it myself. Thanks
I got some continentals that were for commuting but no nobbly bits, there are loads of options so either go to your bike shop and they can order and fit for you, or order online. I removed the bike stand (no need) today too, its going to get u past 15.5Mph faster but u need ur leg motors to do the rest, the pedal assist is for getting u up hills and maybe getting u home when u r tired thats about it!

Snip

Just Joined
Nov 14, 2018
or the password....
The current password is (2962). For the volt Bigfoot,C1 Controller. Could be the same for the rest of them. (1919) is the Canadian code. You can derestricted them by removing the metal cover under the crank, in order to expose the bike computer. There will be a wire that loops from and back into to computer, simply unclip the centre and the motor will be derestricted. When you get into the controller settings go to (6)sys system settings and set max speed to 40 . set the SPD to 4. There is an SPD setting in system settings and one in SPD settings. Set them both to 4. The speedo will will display 1/4 of your speed, but this will add a little speed than if you left the SPD's on 1. The throttle will work from 0mph to the motors limit speed. You can set the pedal sensor to 9. This will have the motor kick in sooner when you start pedaling. It is best not to change the other settings in case you burn your motor out. But the voltage and current(Amps) can also be increased via the bike controller. This will give more power but will take the motor pasted its designed tolerances.

BobbyBrown

Dec 24, 2018
The current password is (2962). For the volt Bigfoot,C1 Controller. Could be the same for the rest of them. (1919) is the Canadian code. You can derestricted them by removing the metal cover under the crank, in order to expose the bike computer. There will be a wire that loops from and back into to computer, simply unclip the centre and the motor will be derestricted. When you get into the controller settings go to (6)sys system settings and set max speed to 40 . set the SPD to 4. There is an SPD setting in system settings and one in SPD settings. Set them both to 4. The speedo will will display 1/4 of your speed, but this will add a little speed than if you left the SPD's on 1. The throttle will work from 0mph to the motors limit speed. You can set the pedal sensor to 9. This will have the motor kick in sooner when you start pedaling. It is best not to change the other settings in case you burn your motor out. But the voltage and current(Amps) can also be increased via the bike controller. This will give more power but will take the motor pasted its designed tolerances.
Thanks snip. Worked like a treat on my Bigfoot. Do you know the code for the general parameters settings? I can edit the advanced settings page but I need the password for the other menu so I can increase the limit

BobbyBrown

Dec 24, 2018
Just to throw in my two pence worth...
Having had help above I’ve successfully derestricted my Volt Bigfoot that uses the spin tech motor and controller (a computer manual can be found if you search for juicy lcd controller).

I’ve not gone crazy with it but just upped the speed limit to 20mph which helps enormously in the flat. The lcd display works great and displays your correct speed - no having to do mental gymnastics as you don’t have to move any magnets around or fiddle about unclipping wires.

Well worth thinking about if anyone’s in the market for buying a new ebike and is thinking about tweaking it.

Snip

Just Joined
Nov 14, 2018
Just to throw in my two pence worth...
Having had help above I’ve successfully derestricted my Volt Bigfoot that uses the spin tech motor and controller (a computer manual can be found if you search for juicy lcd controller).

I’ve not gone crazy with it but just upped the speed limit to 20mph which helps enormously in the flat. The lcd display works great and displays your correct speed - no having to do mental gymnastics as you don’t have to move any magnets around or fiddle about unclipping wires.

Well worth thinking about if anyone’s in the market for buying a new ebike and is thinking about tweaking it.
Hi BobbyBrown, glad you're having fun. Can you use your bike just on the throttle to go 20mph with no peddling.

BobbyBrown

Dec 24, 2018
Since you posted I’ve had a look around but can’t find the option within the menus. It’s not something I’m particularly interested in as I don’t want to put too much stress on the motor. These bikes aren’t cheap!

jradley

Jan 9, 2019
Hi, I've put in the password, what button am I pressing after inputting it?

BobbyBrown

Dec 24, 2018
Google ‘juicy bike lcd display’ for the manual. It’ll tell you all you need to know. Remember there is a general settings menu and an advanced menu

Reactions: jradley

BobbyBrown

Dec 24, 2018
I am now the proud owner of another Volt bike (the Alpine) that I'll be using to commute to work. Unfortunately this comes with the newer C2 computer that I've not seen before. Does anyone have an idea on how to derestrict it using the controller? I find having an assisted speed of 20mph immeasurably safer than 15mph when battling with the local traffic.

jradley

Jan 9, 2019
I am now the proud owner of another Volt bike (the Alpine) that I'll be using to commute to work. Unfortunately this comes with the newer C2 computer that I've not seen before. Does anyone have an idea on how to derestrict it using the controller? I find having an assisted speed of 20mph immeasurably safer than 15mph when battling with the local traffic.
Can you post a picture of it?

gazz27

Just Joined
Jul 4, 2019
I have two volt Pulse bikes with the C1 display. From various bits of information I have found, including the link on the controller to disconnect which in itself has made no difference. I have got into menu three using the code 2962 but there are two other menus that the code does not work on. Anybody had any look yet?

Reactions: davell

Advertisers