Is no one safe on the road.

Phil the drill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2008
TR9
Whoops, potentially very nasty, but luckily nobody, it seems, was harmed . There but for the grace of God......etc..
We had a very nasty incident a couple of miles from my place, where the arm of a digger on a low loader swung out as it rounded a bend on a fast road, taking the tops off several passing cars and instantly killing a number of their occupants. Nobody, car, walker or cyclist would have stood a chance if they just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time (that incident happened at night on an unlit road, so the drivers barely had chance to see what was coming, never mind avoid it).
Unfortunately, no amount of safety awareness, protective wear etc. etc. could possibly have protected you against this - fate I'm afraid rules supreme here.

Phil.

everest

Just Joined
May 24, 2009
I need a map of off road cycle paths, lanes and tracks for UK!

keep away from em , or else I'm going to be squished?

has noone figured out that cars are dangerous?

why should we let them drive outside our schools, through our towns, etc etc?

it's just bizzare!

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
I need a map of off road cycle paths, lanes and tracks for UK!

keep away from em , or else I'm going to be squished?

has noone figured out that cars are dangerous?

why should we let them drive outside our schools, through our towns, etc etc?

it's just bizzare!
Yeah well worth getting a Cycling & Walking (routes) map of your area - especially if the council provide a free one (courtesy of the rate payers of course). I mostly use the advisory routes and generally find them reasonably safe. I avoid A roads, trucks and juggernauts like the plague.
All my riding is "urban" but I quite fancy trying a spot of real off-road.

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
I blame the councils for building the schools next to roads, they should have known better.
Too late now. The 4X4 mums would have no problem (assuming they can actually drive off road).

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Too late now. The 4X4 mums would have no problem (assuming they can actually drive off road).
If the road surface conditions get much worse, they'll all end up skilled off-road drivers. :(

Advertisers