itv4 cycle show

avronb

Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2011
Anyone see the IT4 cycle show on Monday,i thought it was very good,only half an hour but it is on every week at 20.00.

BrianSmithers

Pedelecer
Apr 21, 2011
DA1
Conversely, I thought it was awful. The host let three really boring people ramble on for ages. Nigel Mansel was just as charismatic as he ever was. (in the same way that a brick is aerodynamic).

What I hoped for was a serious show that looked at bikes in various classes and what you get for your money. I think we all know that an 80 quid bike from Halfords is not going to last like a better one but it would be nice to have an idea of what makes a decent bike. This show so far hasn't educated us one bit.

The only part I enjoyed was marvelling at how those fit people of various ages whizzed up Box Hill at a rate I couldn't manage on my ebike. You have to admire that.

- Brian.

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Yep, it was dire.
Gary Fisher was just eccentric but probably deserved a programme more about him and what he did for cycling. Graeme Obree was wired up to a Mars Bar by the look of him and again, likely needed more of an airing on him alone.
Mansell, while doing some good stuff in the cycling world, isnt and has never really been a TV personality, but a programme could have been made with him as a ten minute feature.
The cafe background was distracting, annoying, and irrelevant - a studio or bike workshop or even a warehouse would have worked better.
However, having torn it to pieces, let's see what we've got...
A programme with promise unfulfilled - the producers need to work on it a lot more and take some ideas up from some of the very constructive criticism I've seen of it. It needn't be dire - it could take a theme each week and manage to be all things to all men/women/creatures from Mars but instead of trying to cram too much in to each episode, just let it flow more naturally.
I get the impression it was launched in a fit of enthusiasm without much experience - fair enough, we all learn as we go, but this is a real chance for a cycling programme to establish itself and not be ditched after a first short series.

Advertisers