Joycube JCEB360-11 battery

Tazmantic

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2018
oxfordshire
Hi all, while I'm trying to sort the other issues with my bike I have a question about the battery, On the side it has a test button and 5 led lights but when its fully charged (charger green light on) and I press the button only 4 leds light up and I really cant remember if all 5 used to the battery voltage is 41.4volts. The LCD display (when I get it to turn on) shows a full battery any thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Led lights are just a gimmick they light up and can have nice colours, I only have one battery that does that with a nice shade of Blue. The only true indication of a charge is real time voltage reading.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Indicator lights are often 1 red and 3 or 4 green. They're a joke. Take no notice of them. Use a meter if you need to know the battery's voltage.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Hi all, while I'm trying to sort the other issues with my bike I have a question about the battery, On the side it has a test button and 5 led lights but when its fully charged (charger green light on) and I press the button only 4 leds light up and I really cant remember if all 5 used to the battery voltage is 41.4volts. The LCD display (when I get it to turn on) shows a full battery any thoughts?
On your Joycube 360/11Ah battery: 5 LEDs should/will light if the battery is healthy (not worn) and fully charged. The charger LED turns green when the battery is MOSTLY full but it's still charging at <400ma at that point... it's balancing cells. You should leave it charging for an extra hour or two.

Press the battery button for >10 seconds to show state of health. All 5 LEDs will flash for 10 seconds if the cells retain >90% of performance, 4 LEDS >80%, 3 LEDs >70% etc. It's an assessment determined by cell age/total charge cycles.

Reactions: Tazmantic

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Oh what voltage is good.
42.0v hot off the charger is good or 41.8v after it's had a chance to settle and balance. The voltage hot off the charger is a measure of how balanced it is. You can often restore balance by leaving it on charge for a long time after you get the green light.

Do you always charge until you get the green light?

Tazmantic

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2018
oxfordshire
On your Joycube 360/11Ah battery: 5 LEDs should/will light if the battery is healthy (not worn) and fully charged. The charger LED turns green when the battery is MOSTLY full but it's still charging at <400ma at that point... it's balancing cells. You should leave it charging for an extra hour or two.

Press the battery button for >10 seconds to show state of health. All 5 LEDs will flash for 10 seconds if the cells retain >90% of performance, 4 LEDS >80%, 3 LEDs >70% etc. It's an assessment determined by cell age/total charge cycles.
Ah ok mine just light up and only 4 so Ill leave it on charge for a while

Tazmantic

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2018
oxfordshire
42.0v hot off the charger is good or 41.8v after it's had a chance to settle and balance. The voltage hot off the charger is a measure of how balanced it is. You can often restore balance by leaving it on charge for a long time after you get the green light.

Do you always charge until you get the green light?
As I've mentioned before I didn't use it much and its been In storage for quite a while but I did charge till green light came on before storing. Though the charger is for the battery and says 42v it only seems to be producing 40v at the plug when disconnected from the battery (I've just measured) I do have a charger for a hoverboard that is 42v and producing 41.5v could I try that? the plugs are different (bike has 5 pins other has 3) but could I just connect the hoverboard charger + & - to the battery charging socket + & - or do the other 3 pins on the bike battery charger do something.

Cheers

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The charger should show 42v when not connected, some have a voltage pot inside that can be adjusted.

Tazmantic

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2018
oxfordshire
The charger should show 42v when not connected, some have a voltage pot inside that can be adjusted.
Just took it apart and can measure

40v when not connected to the battery
41.4 when connected and led red (charging)
38v when connected and led green (stopped charging)

Have attached pic would the voltage pot be the one with the white on it to stop it being adjusted?IMG_8127.jpg

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You can't measure the output voltage of that type of charger. It won't charge until connected to the battery and it'll get pulled down to the battery voltage as soon as it starts charging.

Tazmantic

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2018
oxfordshire
You can't measure the output voltage of that type of charger. It won't charge until connected to the battery and it'll get pulled down to the battery voltage as soon as it starts charging.
Ah ok but it was deff showing 40v not connected so I turned it up to 42v and checked voltages again but it still only charged for a few seconds at about 42 volts then went to green light and sat at 40v

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Ah ok but it was deff showing 40v not connected so I turned it up to 42v and checked voltages again but it still only charged for a few seconds at about 42 volts then went to green light and sat at 40v
You mustn't try to adjust it when you can't measure it. You'll kill your battery and or/set your house on fire.

Tazmantic

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2018
oxfordshire
Thanks for the warning, so with this charger is there a way I can measure it? Would having it connected to the battery but having one of the charge wires disconnected from the charger board give me a true reading of the output?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You can only measure it while charging, which will give you the battery voltage as it rises, so keep measuring while charging. the only problem is that the battery will most likely switch off the charging when the first cell reaches HVC.

Tazmantic

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2018
oxfordshire
You can only measure it while charging, which will give you the battery voltage as it rises, so keep measuring while charging. the only problem is that the battery will most likely switch off the charging when the first cell reaches HVC.
That's what its doing then sits at 38v, had it on all night and its still the same so is it looking like the cells are getting tired? is it worth pulling the battery apart and measuring the cells individually?

Thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If you have one cell group hitting HVC before the others then the BMS shuts the charge process off, manual balancing is then required if more then a 0.1v out.

Advertisers