Just opened battery yose power 15.6Ah

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Just had a near miss.

I bought a power plug exstension lead which I've been using, but as I plugged it in to charge today, bang! Battery won't charge.
I remember reading about a fuse inside battery, so removed screws and found 10amp fuse behind battery switch. Fortunately I have some old car fuses so swapped and all good.
Gee. I was worried. Thanks to a forum post I read a while ago though and all is now good.

Now my question.
Having looked inside, I'm thinking of adding lights to bike. Unfortunately the supplied light that plugged in has no power for some reason. Wasn't much good anyway.
Where would I pick up a power feed for new wired lights? 36v from battery to fused switch?
I'm thinking about it although get a bit anxious when battery is apart.
Just asking for interest.

Re light not working.
I suspect a dry solder joint or broken cable as it failed before then started to work again. Or blown component.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It was quite easy connecting bright lights to my ebike battery, because there are just two red and black wires from the battery to the controller. I cut off the rubbish bullet connectors and soldered in Y junctions.12V-80V lights are connected in parallel, with a 3A blade fuse and switch in between the lights and the battery. I did have to learn to solder however. Fortunately there are loads of soldering experts on this forum.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Just self-adhesive marine heat shrink was tricky to cover the Y-junctions with, I also used insulating tape, then covered the lot with self-amalgamating rubber tape to waterproof. No problems, years on.

Last edited:

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
What sort of Yose Power pack do you have? For my Silverfish 15.6A I replaced the blade receptacle with 12 AWG cables and an XT60. From that it's quite easy to add a "Y" spitter or other power take off.

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
What sort of Yose Power pack do you have? For my Silverfish 15.6A I replaced the blade receptacle with 12 AWG cables and an XT60. From that it's quite easy to add a "Y" spitter or other power take off.
I must fit waterproof connectors to my battery sometime, so I can clamp my 1800LM red flasher (plus another) to the back of my Homcom bike trailer via an extension. Was considering using these:

...but I suppose XT60s filled with diaelectric grease, with some sort of cover would be waterproof?

Last edited:

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
I must fit waterproof connectors to my battery sometime, so I can clamp my 1800LM red flasher (plus another) to the back of my Homcom bike trailer via an extension. Was considering using these:

...but I suppose XT60s filled with diaelectric grease, with some sort of cover would be waterproof?
XT60s are not water proof as standard, but there are some waterproof versions available with rubber seals.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
XT60s are not water proof as standard, but there are some waterproof versions available with rubber seals.
Thanks - XT60s are more compact, I'll order a waterproof version to try out. It'll probably get dielectric greased and gain a raincoat regardless.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thanks - XT60s are more compact, I'll order a waterproof version to try out. It'll probably get dielectric greased and gain a raincoat regardless.
You don't need waterproof ones. Just put a dob of silicone grease in them, which will be more waterproof than the waterproof ones.

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
You don't need waterproof ones. Just put a dob of silicone grease in them, which will be more waterproof than the waterproof ones.
Thank you - it just so happens I have one to test and torture. I'll order some dielectric grease.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thank you - it just so happens I have one to test and torture. I'll order some dielectric grease.

Brilliant. It'll turn your connector into a capacitor, so your bike will run smoother.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Brilliant. It'll turn your connector into a capacitor, so your bike will run smoother.
Is that not the right stuff? I'd hate to have an even smoother running bike. I'm not sure I could cope.

Last edited:

Cisco-man

Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2023
I’m new to XT60s, but don’t like how the back cover clicks into place on the ones I’ve got. Isn’t there a risk it could click off in use and maybe short with something? I’m minded to inject hot glue into the back of them once wired. Good idea or bad?

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
I’m new to XT60s, but don’t like how the back cover clicks into place on the ones I’ve got. Isn’t there a risk it could click off in use and maybe short with something? I’m minded to inject hot glue into the back of them once wired. Good idea or bad?
I quite often do that if I can get the glue gun in there to stop fatigue of the wire joint. Never had a back come off though. Normally it's quite hard to remove after clicking in place.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
...because I need capacitors to repair a LCD monitor:

Advertisers