Just ordered a 750w BBS02, my first electric bike !

Topdonkey

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
I hadnt thought of battery protection (from bumps and drops), and i like the idea of the floor tiles, nice and compact, so will start off with a plastic lunchbox lined with memory foam, and then look at doing something similar once the setup has been proven and tested.

Looks like my batteries will be here tuesday, and the BBs02 will be here friday !, so a busy weekend getting it all fitted :)

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Started with the lunchbox myself

although I then wrapped that in memory foam and put the whole thing in another bigger box(just for initial testing purposes.

I then graduated to a set of cheap foldaway panniers add rack bag.

Next came the triangle bag

The bigger,better triangle bag

And finally THE bike bag (along with the triangle bag as well).

Topdonkey

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
That looks like a very similar setup to what i'm looking to achieve, although i'm not wanting quite such large bags !, hoping to get away with the small triangle bag you started with, but i might end up with the giant pannier set !!

Is that the 750w 48v BBS02 ?, if so, how are you finding it ?, I'm wondering what chain and rear cluster i should get ? as in, what gear ratio i am likely to need for hilly terrain but also long downhill straight sections 2 miles long, my current chain and rear cluster are getting pretty tired, so looking to replace them straight away, so any recommentdations, from anyone that knows better than me (i know nothing, so thats everybody !!!) would be appreciated

This is the exact same bike as mine, but not mine !

Cheers

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
It is the 750 and I find it excellent where I live on the Teesdale moors.
Very hilly and lots of off road tracks as well.
My cassette is a 34T-11T and the chainring is a 44T which gets me up to 32Mph (its a 29er) and in bottom gear it will climb anything.
I also had a 46T chainring which gave me 38Mph top speed which is too fast really although I did manage over 50mph down a long 25% hill a while back..

The small triangle bag was an Ibera medium although I would suggest a large would be better if you can find one (Amazon).

Topdonkey

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
Motor is on the way, delivery is scheduled for today !! :) so i've got my biek in the lounge and im trying to take the bottom bracket out and i cant even get the crank arms off !!, not a good start, I've hit them with a rubber mallet but they arent going anywhere, so looks like i need to pop down to my local bike shop and get a special tool for the job, I assume its called a crank puller ?, will it also unscrew the bottom bracket ?, or is that another tool to get too ? and if anyone has fitted a BBS02 before, are there any other special tools needed ?

Might even have it running this evening, need some bike lights too !!

Topdonkey

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
And, i've just measured the bottom bracket width and its 73mm, is that ok ? or do i need more bits to fit it ?

D

Deleted member 4366

It's virtually impossible to get the cranks off without a puller. You shouldn't even attempt it because it will onlly result in damage. You also need a tool to remove the BB, and don't forget about the left hand thread on the left hand side.

Topdonkey

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
Thanks for the reply, sounds like i need a whole tool kit to keep up with the maintenance then, its normally cheaper to buy a whole set rather than keep buying individual tools

D

Deleted member 4366

They have them in Aldi sometimes for £20, but in my local one, they don't seem to sell, so, after a couple of weeks, they knock them down to £10. The quality isn't X-fantastic, so it's probably better to buy the tools individually from Ebay, where you can get reasonable quality BB and crank tools together for about £3.

Sylvester

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2015
Epsom, Surrey
Thanks for the reply, sounds like i need a whole tool kit to keep up with the maintenance then, its normally cheaper to buy a whole set rather than keep buying individual tools
I was in a similar situation a few weeks ago. I bought a boxed toolkit from my local Halfords for about £30, which contained most of what I needed and the quality is ok. It also helps to google a few how-to videos on you-tube.

Topdonkey

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
Just bought a crank puller and removed the cranks but have noticed that the cassette and chain are seriously worn,that must be why the gears were jumping before, just ordered a new chain and cassette for next day delivery

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
You will need M6 bolts 5mm longer than supplied and 5mm spacers or washers to go between the left side plate and the motor.
You will also need some blue loctite as you cant fit the locking nut on a 73mm BB.

Topdonkey

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
Thanks for the advice on the longer bolts, ordered them and they turned up today, and just made some 5mm spacers out if ali tube, motor is bolted on now and go the wiring and other bits to do, but school pickup in 50 mins so the rest will be put on hold till tomorrow, should get it done by the afternoon hopefully, then its out for a ride :)

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Great stuff. Be careful when first setting off as the acceleration may just surprise you and you need to find out how long it takes your motor to disconnect when you stop pedalling as this varies from motor to motor.
Look forward to hearing how it goes.

Topdonkey

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
I'll be careful, but my daily ride is a suzuki bandit 600 motorbike !, so i'm not expecting any suprises really. :)

Next problem, I'm trying to figure out which side the on button with the + and - on, and the throttle should go ?, I was trying to set it up with a right throttle the same as a motorbike, but the gearchanger is that side and i cant see how its all going to fit, any suggestions ?, I have a 9 speed sti shifter with magura hydraulic brakes

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
My button and thumb throttle are on the left(its a right hand throttle but its not a problem).

Sylvester

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2015
Epsom, Surrey
My layout is similar to Kinninvie's. It works pretty well, but it's a bit of a stretch for my left thumb to reach the control buttons.
image.jpg

Topdonkey

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2015
Perfect !, thats how i'll do mine then, thanks.

I'm back onto the fitting again this morning, should have it done by this afternoon as long as i dont get any problems.

One question i do have is, there is a little plastic collar that came with the throttle, does anyone know what its for ?

bafang-mid-crank-kit-bbs01-bbs02-thumb-throttle.jpg

Sylvester

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2015
Epsom, Surrey
One question i do have is, there is a little plastic collar that came with the throttle, does anyone know what its for ?
I've left it out, I presume it's to fit a smaller-diameter handlebar. Or something.

D

Deleted member 4366

It's the spacer so that you can butt the throttle up against something without it sticking open.

Advertisers