Kalkhoff battery lights - top and bottom

reggie_electric

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 15, 2015
Hi

I have a Kalkhoff Agattu 8 HS 2016 model. I've been having problems with the power dropping out, for seconds or a number of minutes. First I thought this was a connection problem, but now I think it might be the battery itself.

The battery is switching off mid-way through a ride. Sometimes if the battery is jolted, it comes back into life for a few minutes, before dieing again.

The battery lights are showing the top and bottom light together for a second, before it goes dead again - this combination of lights is not in the manual, does anyone know what it means? Alternatively, just the bottom light shows, even if there is much more charge in the battery than that.

I bought this bike direct from Germany and live in Scotland, so it's not easy to get local support on these issues, I hope someone might help.

Reggie

gesanners

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 26, 2010
Hi Reggie,
I have a similar problem with my 2012 Agattu. In my case the battery is probably nearing the end of its useful life. I've just spoken to an electric bike shop in the Midlands to ask about a battery refurb and in the course of conversation discovered that there is something called a battery management system within the battery. This deals with the distribution of power from the charger to the multiple small batteries within what you and I know as 'the battery' If one of these small batteries fails, the management system will shut the battery down. You may well have a duff battery. Gerry.

robdon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 5, 2013
a 2016 battery should not be dying, when it is in this state, test it with a multimeter to see what the voltage is.
it is probably a loose wire

• Disagree
Reactions: tommie

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
a 2016 battery should not be dying, when it is in this state, test it with a multimeter to see what the voltage is.
it is probably a loose wire
Potentially you are right

But it could also be a duff cell or cell string

A test you might do with just a multi meter:-

1. Charge till full. Test voltage after and it should be 42v. Or near enough anyway

2. Go for a ride until the cutout issue.

3. Quickly as you can test battery voltage.

4. Repeat a couple of times and post results here. Along with mileage achieved

If it drops from 42v to cutout voltage quickly then recovers, then drops again after it gets a load drawn, followed by recovery/failure/recovery etc.

This would indicate a failed cell or , probably, several.

Advertisers