Kalkhoff error code 3

misterjohn

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 12, 2021
Manchester
Hello! I have a Kalkhoff Berleen 5. I’ve had it for a couple of years. Normally it behaves well.

Today I left it locked up solidly outside in a very public place in the city centre while I went to work. (I had no option - for various reasons; however, it was securely locked with 3 separate Kryptonite gold standard locks; it wasn’t stolen, thank God).

When I came to ride it home, after about half a mile, it suddenly became very sluggish. I attached my smartphone and established a Bluetooth connection with the innards via the Kalkhoff app. I could see from a certain icon that there was something wrong; I was asked to run a diagnostic.

The diagnostic signified that there was an error: error code 35.

I can’t find Kalkhoff error code 35. However, it appears that Microsoft error code 35 indicates ‘Poorly configured, outdated, or corrupted device drivers’. Several other devices using error code 35 have similar meanings - firmware problem, BIOS problem; for scooters, it might indicate a wrong serial number; for washing machines, the presence of water.

During my bike’s stay outside, it rained heavily during the morning. Could this be the origin?

Or has someone tampered with the bike? (I think this is very unlikely, as the footfall in the area where I locked the bike is probably the busiest pavement in the entire city.

Any ideas?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
what make motor does it have ?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
These sort of bikes are great when they work, but sooner or later they won't work, then you're in trouble. All you can do is ring your dealer and ask them what it means. They'll probably want you to bring your bike in so that they can check it and charge you for it even though they know what the code means.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
According to photos, your bike has a Bafang hub-motor that kalkhoff call their Groove system. presumably, the rest of the electronics are Bafang too. If that's the case, error code 35 is fault on the 15v circuit. That's a new one on me. There isn't normally 15v on a 36v bike, unless the lights run off that. Otherwise the only other 15v is in the motor controller. It's used to switch the MOSFETs but I can't see how that could be tested nor how anything could cause a fault with it.

Can anybody make sense of this:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
The dealer will use the Bafang BESST tool to diagnose your bike, but it looks like you can not only do that yourself, but you can change other settings according to this. All you need is a password to open the BESST tool. maybe your phone app one does it, otherwise you have to ask Bafang for one:

misterjohn

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 12, 2021
Manchester
Thank you for the responses.

Amazingly, after doing nothing to the bike at all, the fault has completely disappeared . The following day I was able to cycle to work as normal.

I now remember that, on a couple of previous occasions (months and months ago), while cycling, the motor would suddenly and inexplicably become ultra sluggish. On these two occasions, I stopped the bike, switched it off, waited a minute or two, then switched it back on and resumed my journey without a problem.

I’m thinking that this has been a similar event, comparable to the odd quirks that happen with laptops and routers…. where a simple reboot cleanses the system.

So, all is good now.

I agree with saneagle. I would extend his comment to tablets, smartphones, laptops, memory sticks, SD cards, iPods…. Mercifully, not many devices have failed me permanently, but when they do, they become strange, minimalist works of sculpture, fashioned in plastic and metal.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
its called applecrap :mad:

Advertisers