Kalkhoff Tuning Dongle

Tobeeornot

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 13, 2015
Hi,

I am looking for some recommendations for a tuning dongle for my Kalkhoff Agattu 2013 model.

I am not sure whether the Impulse mid-drive motor is either v1 or v2 but I purchased a two cableset kits to accommodate both versions with a tuning dongle but I couldn't get it to work (I am sure I installed it correctly). The manufacturer is maintronic.de. I have now returned the dongle for a refund.

Can anyone recommend a tuning dongle that will work with my bike, and/or service agent in or near London that can help me install it. My bike is out of warranty so the option of resetting the firmware is not a concern for me.

I am also looking at the Badass Chip Tuning Box but want to go with the best solution.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you want a bad ass ebike 1 same 1 i have will work with it.

can install ur self as it just fits over the sensor

Reactions: Tobeeornot

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i also met up with a member on here with 1 of the sx dongles and it had failed just over a year of using it as there cheap rubbish at rip off prices.

bad ass will also give free adaptors if have problems fitting them to some bikes also a member on here ;)

Tobeeornot

Aug 13, 2015
i also met up with a member on here with 1 of the sx dongles and it had failed just over a year of using it as there cheap rubbish at rip off prices.

bad ass will also give free adaptors if have problems fitting them to some bikes also a member on here ;)
Thanks Soundwave. I didn't know if Badass was any good so thanks for the recommendation.

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
If you're out of warranty then you may be able to change the wheel size of the bike in software by using one of the dealers programmer tools which ends up allowing a higher cut off speed. They may do this for free, for a fee or not at all.

The badass ones don't give you a true reading of your speed past a certain speed if that going to bother you?

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
50 Cycles won’t do it but did offer to let a customer I know do it himself when he picked his new bike up a couple of years ago. They’ve sent the device to other customers including members of this forum to update software, and if the OPs bike has not had the 2013 Sport software update they may well send one to him to do that.

I don’t know if they would send one out specifically to change the cut off though. But he could say it needs a software update for some other reason. He can then change the wheel size setting at the same time.

Reactions: SteveRuss

Tobeeornot

Aug 13, 2015
50 Cycles won’t do it but did offer to let a customer I know do it himself when he picked his new bike up a couple of years ago. They’ve sent the device to other customers including members of this forum to update software, and if the OPs bike has not had the 2013 Sport software update they may well send one to him to do that.

I don’t know if they would send one out specifically to change the cut off though. But he could say it needs a software update for some other reason. He can then change the wheel size setting at the same time.
Hi John, I'm guessing they won't do this for a bike not purchased through them?

Tobeeornot

Aug 13, 2015
If you're out of warranty then you may be able to change the wheel size of the bike in software by using one of the dealers programmer tools which ends up allowing a higher cut off speed. They may do this for free, for a fee or not at all.

The badass ones don't give you a true reading of your speed past a certain speed if that going to bother you?
Hi Steve, thanks for this. Do you know dealers that will do this if you have't purchased the bike through them?

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Hi John, I'm guessing they won't do this for a bike not purchased through them?
If you contact them and say you bought it second hand and need to update to the Sport software they might. They would need a deposit I imagine. I’m assuming your’s is the Impulse 1 because that update only applies to it not the Impulse 11. If it was bought second hand from the UK it might still be in warranty with 50 Cycles though and they will know that. They allow the warranty to be transferred to a new owner unlike most dealers.

Failing that there is a member in Devon I think, who I believe has access to one of these dealer things. I think it’s Jonah. Might have him mixed up with someone else though. He might post it out for a deposit. If you don’t ask you’ll never know, and that goes for 50 Cycles too.

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
If you contact them and say you bought it second hand and need to update to the Sport software they might. They would need a deposit I imagine. I’m assuming your’s is the Impulse 1 because that update only applies to it not the Impulse 11. If it was bought second hand from the UK it might still be in warranty with 50 Cycles though and they will know that. They allow the warranty to be transferred to a new owner unlike most dealers.

Failing that there is a member in Devon I think, who I believe has access to one of these dealer things. I think it’s Jonah. Might have him mixed up with someone else though. He might post it out for a deposit. If you don’t ask you’ll never know, and that goes for 50 Cycles too.
50 cycles will happily sell you an s-pedelec from their shops knowing that your very likely to use them on the public paths and roads. They could hardly object to making some minor adjustment to your bike. At worst you could buy one of the programmers from them for £189 and then sell it afterwards. I doubt it would be an issue.

Tobeeornot

Aug 13, 2015
Thanks guys. I really appreciate all the replies and tips. I'm going to purchase a Badass dongle but if that fails I'll go the 50 Cycles route and see what they say!

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
50 cycles will happily sell you an s-pedelec from their shops knowing that your very likely to use them on the public paths and roads. They could hardly object to making some minor adjustment to your bike. At worst you could buy one of the programmers from them for £189 and then sell it afterwards. I doubt it would be an issue.
But they still won’t do it for you because presumably they think it will make them liable. As to the S pedelecs it’s not illegal to sell them only to use them…..

Whether they make it clear to their customers that the risk is with them is a moot point.

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
But they still won’t do it for you because presumably they think it will make them liable. As to the S pedelecs it’s not illegal to sell them only to use them…..

Whether they make it clear to their customers that the risk is with them is a moot point.
You may be right. It's something I haven't tried but my bike is still in warranty and i'm taking no chances mucking that up!

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
Thanks guys. I really appreciate all the replies and tips. I'm going to purchase a Badass dongle but if that fails I'll go the 50 Cycles route and see what they say!
The badass do work if you buy the correct one. My friend just fitted one to his bike and loves it.. (other than the speedometer readout!)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
yeah but you cant reprogramme them for 75km 50mph and its cheaper direct from Germany bad ass direct.

they will also give free adaptors if have problems fitting it as members here have got them for free dir from bad ass ;)

Last edited:

Adam Wolfe

Just Joined
Aug 26, 2015
haibike all mtn pro.BAEB,dongle.3.3

I see you use one yourself, so you must be happy with it ?

£4.30 extra, compared to euro price, for next day delivery when we have them in stock.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
and the price sky rockets from 130 to 109.99

its 103 quid uk to euro atm

Adam Wolfe

Just Joined
Aug 26, 2015
+ postage from BAEB. £105.70

Price has not been £130 since dramatic drop in euro.

But for anyone looking to buy from a UK dealer or Test before they buy.

We are able to help.

Advertisers