KT Controllers "Not for scooters" disclaimer

Andywebster2005

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 5, 2020
Lightwater, UK
Hi All,

So I made a slight faux pas and purchased a KT Controller 45a (36/48v) - SVPRK-SL02G that had some very small "print" on the page that said it was not suitable for scooters, and was wondering why this may be the case?

I have not quite managed to get it working with the optimal settings yet (hall / phase) and whilst going through the 36 different combinations I get the following:-

1, Stuck Motor
2, Low power draw but the throttle cuts out after 2 seconds (nice low power draw though!!) no idea why it cuts out (60A BMS and 5P 48v battery with 12.5ah - works perfectly on another KT 48/45a) with out the slightest hiccup, bizarrely)
3, Huge power draw, spins up FAST but the wires heat up just as fast (shouldn't pull 1,850w free spinning!)
4, Stuck Motor

I realise that when testing some of the phase wires, they may be loosely screwed into the plastic block to not find the perfect setup (tried about 18/20 today) but as above, I have this battery and an all but identical KT Controller on a Voilamart 1kw hub motor and works like an absolute dream.

I am using a HM 72v 3500w 11" hub motor and cannot fathom if "not for scooters" is somehow recognising / or not the motor type.

Does anyone have experience with these types of motors at all (they are absolutely bonkers fast when mapped to my Sabvoton 72080) if I have to set a motor type or phase angle or something? :S

Thanks in advance!!!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The cutting out would happen if you had a low speed limit set, or it might happen if you have it set for speed control and you had it on level 1 instead of 5.

Andywebster2005

Jul 5, 2020
Lightwater, UK
Hmmm... Thanks @vfr400 I will check that out... but are the limits held on the controller or the display (KT-LCD8H)? as they are 72kmph and speed setting 5, so technically should ot be "hindered" but might try a factory reset, as wondering if the parameters could get stuck/confused?

Thanks!!

Andywebster2005

Jul 5, 2020
Lightwater, UK
hi, so tested the parameters and definitely right at the top of the limit for he speed (72 kph) and setting 5 for the power (throttle used only with imitation torque...

I was thinking (and have primed the KT controller ith the soldered pins, today) for a custom firmware / flash... but cannot find the hall angles and other key motor details, so thought it best to hold off, that said, I might use the Sabvoton to figure this out via the hall test and replicate the values into the openbikefirmware app... have you had any experience with the OS firmware, or know of others on here that may be able to shed some light on whether to try this?

Thanks again @vfr400 ,

Andy

Advertisers