kudos Typhoon power loss

enndee

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2014
battery's one year old. would have been charged every other week given my usage so around 25 times. Seems to last the same as it always has, takes a similar time to charge and a simple voltmeter check shows it putting out around 40v

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
does the power cut out when you climb a hill?

enndee

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2014
Once I'm going over around 10 mph it seems ok and I go up the small hill outside my house ok and usually I'm using level 3

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
when the bike stops working, does the LCD go off? if it does, how long you have to wait before the LCD works again?

enndee

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2014
No the lcd works. The only thing that appears to happen is that the speed reading drops to zero. Disconnecting the wire that appears to feed that to the control box and thus to the lcd doesn't appear to have any effect.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
speed reading drops to zero: there are two possible reasons. 1) your bike does not have an external speed sensor, the controller counts the motor pulses and the motor has stopped, we still don't know what causes the motor to stop.. 2) your bike has an external speed sensor (you see a magnet bolted to one of thee spokes that passes in front of the sensor) the controller is faulty.
You need to borrow a controller from Kudos to test your bike.

enndee

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2014
Must be counting motor pulses as there's no other sensor.
Just tried the bike with the battery fully charged and even power level 1 is no longer working properly. Battery now putting out 42v.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
we have exhausted all the easy checks. You'll need to have access to replacement controller and motor. Where about do you live?

Reactions: Alan Quay

enndee

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2014
Over in Suffolk. Waiting to see if Paul over at Kudoscycles has any idea. The good thing at the moment is that the only time I really like to have the assist is going up the hill home and for that it seems to work.

enndee

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2014
Got my bike working. Appears to have been the controller (thing in the black box on the frame), opened it up and noticed one of the fets got very hot rapidly even without using the motor. Paul at Kudos supplied me a new one, I fitted it and everything now works so smoothly and responsively I keep having to be careful when I start pedalling!

One thing I would recommend is a bike stand so you can twirl the pedals and watch the sensor lights etc makes life so much easier. I got one off amazon from a company called pure gadgets for £30 which can hold a Typhoon up at nearly 6ft makes working on the bike easy.
Once again thanks to Paul for the help.

Advertisers