LCD Problem

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
I got soaked this morning and my LCD will no longer switch on, it got water in it ! I want to open the display up and try drying the insides but can't see how to get it open, has anyone opened up this type of display and got any tips?
This is the display. I tried removing the button stickers to find any screws under there, but nothing.
IMG_5207.JPG

I also have an LCD1 from bmsb. Whats the worst that could happen if I plug that on to try it?
Failing that is there a way to use the controller without the LCD? I might have some switches spare if I could use them.

D

Deleted member 4366

Those LCDs are glued together, so can't be dismantled. Can you see water in it?

The worst thing you can do by fitting the wrong LCD is burn out the controller and/or set fire to your wiring. The red wire carries battery voltage to it. The blue brings the battery voltage back to the controller to power it when the LCD is switched on. As long as the black, red and blue wires match, your new LCD will switch on the controller. The other two wires are tx and rx data. You can't tell which is which by looking at them, but no harm will be done by getying them wrong, so you can try both ways round. Some functions of the LCD might work.

You can run your conttoller without the LCD attached by shorting the red and blue wires on the controller's connector. You might have to also short the two data wires. It should work on full throttle like that, and maybe PAS on the value it gives when you switch on.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Thankyou d8veh. Glad I asked as I could of had sparks. I had to change the order of the wires to match as you said.
The LCD1 works which is great, but only with throttle so I will have to get used to using that for a while (I normally only use PAS) until I can get around to changing the controller too.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
I just noticed the speedo doesn't work on the LCD1 so no point in having it. So I just shorted the red and blue and the throttle works which is great. and can switch off with the battery switch if needed. Fantastic.

Kuorider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2014
Try leaving it in a bowl of dry rice overnight, seal the bowl with cling film or use a seal-able container. Works for wet phones (sometimes). Cheap, and can't make things worse. Really needs done ASAP after the event.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Try leaving it in a bowl of dry rice overnight, seal the bowl with cling film or use a seal-able container. Works for wet phones (sometimes). Cheap, and can't make things worse. Really needs done ASAP after the event.
It was 24 hours ago but still worth a go, I will leave it in rice most of today to try.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
I think your idea may be working, first I shook out what drips I could, after a few hours in rice if switched on briefly then went off, another few hours it switched on and a button worked and went off. Now I am at the stage where it switches on and works for a random length of time in minutes or seconds. There is still moisture in there as the LCD steamed up when it was switched on for a few mins but all is looking good for now. If it fails I can use d8veh's trick to trip out the lcd and just use throttle only as I did today which is great.

Kuorider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2014
With a 2 mm drill in your fingers, try drilling a hole in a corner of the casing just enough to break through the case thickness and no more, most circuit boards clip into the case leaving a bit of space all round. Then repeat the rice trick. Seal the hole with a spot of Silicone.

Reactions: awol and trex

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
It was 24 hours ago but still worth a go, I will leave it in rice most of today to try.
When a thermos flask kindly decided to spill its contents all over the front seat of a car I owned a few years ago, I bought one of these:

Dehumidifier Bag

Left the bag thing in the car for a couple of days, and amazingly it absorbed loads of moisture. It actually grew in size with the water it had absorbed lol.

Might be worth a try sticking one in a sealed container along with your display, to get the rest of the water out ;)

Reactions: awol

Advertisers