LED Strips

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
I'm thinking to fitting some of these red 12v led strips down along the back of the bike frame.
Is it possible to get a 12v supply direct out of my controller for it?
Has anyone fitted them and found they are as easy as soldering wire to tabs on the end?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161230174915?var=460280855119

D

Deleted member 4366

There's a 12v regulator in your controller, which provides the power to switch the FETs. AFAIK, it can give about 1A. You'd have to look up the data sheet to see the spec for yours, but whatever it is, I'd be surprised if it can give enough current for those LEDs. A small DC/DC converter would be better.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I ran about 0.5m of something similar looking off a 9v pp3 cell

A bit less bright than the 12v it was designed for. But I was surprised at how slight the dimming was

A thought anyway

It was just soldering to tabs in my case. Easy as

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Thanks for the replies. The pp3 battery has given me an idea of maybe using 3x18650 laptop battery cells in series. I have ordered a small length to mess with and try the dc-dc idea too.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Thanks for the replies. The pp3 battery has given me an idea of maybe using 3x18650 laptop battery cells in series. I have ordered a small length to mess with and try the dc-dc idea too.
That works just fine too - at least it did with mine but I went with pp3 on a size basis . - it's just a small, easily available box with a switch - hardly bigger than battery. 18650 lasted far longer and a bit brighter but couldn't be mounted directly on the mudguard which is what I wanted

Let me know how you get on !

Advertisers