'Look where you're going!'

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
Two narrow escapes this morning: riding along the main road to the local Co-op for a bottle of Pinot and the Guardian I had a narrow escape from two cyclists (?) who rode straight out of a side road into my path. Seems it was my fault. Shortly afterwards an elderly gentleman walking along the pavement looked directly at me and stepped into my path. Again, apparently, my fault. I blame the bright yellow jacket I was wearing: must have dazzled them.
On the way home, pottering along at 15mph, I was followed by a very patient motorist who waited until we were back on the main road before overtaking.
Happy Bank Holiday to all - hope you survive it!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
In your first 2 instances I wouldn't be very polite but that's just me :eek:.
How ever I hope you acknowledged the motorist as not many are like that.

tongxinpete

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2011
Telford, Shrops
Knocked off mine Bank holiday Monday eve, first accident in 10 years riding & building. No memory of crash as was momentarily unconscious, I think I was clipped from behind by nearside door mirror?. Was riding close to kerb uphill at 12 mph or less in daylight. Taken to local hospital for scan & patch up then released. Bike front wheel taco'ed as I think car wheel went over it. No witnesses other than guy who took my bike in locally (he may or may not have been the driver), says I hit stones then wobbled - have checked the area - new tarmac, no stones or debris whatsoever. Still at least I got the bike back before rain could get into the lithium battery.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Ditto ,. Sounds like a sod the bike and be glad you are ok moment ( fault as an aside of course)

tongxinpete

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2011
Telford, Shrops
Thanks for the good wishes, I can get a rim & rebuild my wheel. In future I will be avoiding this stretch of road by cutting through our estate & taking a slightly longer but safer route onto the cycle track network. It has though shaken my confidence a bit. I was using the bike as much as poss for environmental reasons. A fiend of mine built this http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6025&start=15 I always said the transition period to much lighter electric personal transport (while both light vehicles & 3 tonne ICE jeeps were common) would be a dangerous time for the lighter vehicles.
Light weight = smaller battery system, hence affordability - not so many will afford say a Nissan Leaf at present. That said 99% of my car journeys over the last 4 years could have been done in an EV

Advertisers