Looking for Help derestricting Carrera Vulcan (pics included)

DavidG309

Just Joined
Nov 15, 2017
Galway
Hi guys. My question or query relates to eking out an extra 4/5 mph on my Carrera Vulcan. I know there is a couple of similar posts relating to the crossfire and there’s not a lot of info.
I’ve noticed some posters asking for detailed pics so I took some, more than what’s in the previous posts of all parts that actually have a wire connecting them. Hopefully some ideas might float around after viewing them.....

834A606F-9E58-4C80-AAF9-CFB53D164DE3.jpeg
Connection from Battery to motor....

E6C6CEB1-A0E7-42D7-AEE9-20B09B43A392.jpeg
Behind the pedal crank

5BBC4599-59DF-4B76-859E-73EA7EA4E6CE.jpeg
Underneath that cover you just saw in the previous picture....

52AD373C-9A4B-4E3F-9C19-9D0667C7006A.jpeg
Inside/behind the same cover....

684A3D47-9E99-4233-84CC-EE46B0D50076.jpeg
Inside the bottom part of the batter housing/cradle. The bottom connection runs from the sensor or whatever that thing is behind the pedal crank. I’m assuming the sensor or the speedo??
The top connection runs to the display on the handlebars.

B0A21D7F-0EFC-4A3D-90B6-38AEDA0DC71C.jpeg
Everything else that was visible in the same housing as the previous pics.

Hopefully some of you might get an idea what’s what ;-)
Looking forward to some replies

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Doesn't look like there is anything in your pics, controller is potted in silicone. I expect the speed is set others have tried playing with lcd settings with little joy.
If that cap in the controller says 63v under the white label you could try adding /wiring in a 3s/12v booster battery in series for more speed.

Last edited:

DavidG309

Just Joined
Nov 15, 2017
Galway
Doesn't look like there is anything in your pics, controller is potted in silicone. I expect the speed is set others have tried playing with lcd settings with little joy.
??? Potted in silicone? What’s the thing behind the crank that’s going to the battery? Or is the extra 4 pin connector of any use??

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
??? Potted in silicone? What’s the thing behind the crank that’s going to the battery? Or is the extra 4 pin connector of any use??
Having the electronic controller potted (sealed) in silicone is probably a really good idea for waterproofing, but it doesn't help to see the circuitry and understand how Suntour have made their own proprietary ATS system function. The stuff behind the crank is Suntours own (unique/different from everyone elses) infra-red system for measuring cadence and torque.

Despite a lot of people asking, I haven't read anything on this forum or anywhere else where someone has yet managed to defeat Suntours legal 15mph speed restriction.

Reactions: DavidG309
D

Deleted member 4366

Your photos don't show the motor wires, which ar the most important things. What do the pins look like in the motor connector, how many thin wires come from the motor and what colour are they?

DavidG309

Just Joined
Nov 15, 2017
Galway
Your photos don't show the motor wires, which ar the most important things. What do the pins look like in the motor connector, how many thin wires come from the motor and what colour are they?
I’ll have a look tomorrow and put up a pic.

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
Hi did you get anywhere with this? The torque is much better than my old bike but the speed is disappointing. The US limit of 20mph is much more realistic. I am willing to help as long as I am not killing my warranty. I can get to various screens but non seem to do anything

* wheel size display, can't be changed
* settings 0 - 4 that seem to do nothing, although setting 2 produces a bulb and dimmed display by default to probably screen settings.
* clear data but no way to confirm it
* screen goes blank except for speed settings, sport is missing when I do this.

I'm thinking more likely it's going to be something in the controller or indeed just ditching that and getting a chinese one. My chinese bike is pretty quick but can't do hills very well. It also likes to snap spokes. I'd have went for a whoosh but they don't seem to offer finance

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Gaurav Suri

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 27, 2018
Hi did you get anywhere with this? The torque is much better than my old bike but the speed is disappointing. The US limit of 20mph is much more realistic. I am willing to help as long as I am not killing my warranty. I can get to various screens but non seem to do anything

* wheel size display, can't be changed
* settings 0 - 4 that seem to do nothing, although setting 2 produces a bulb and dimmed display by default to probably screen settings.
* clear data but no way to confirm it
* screen goes blank except for speed settings, sport is missing when I do this.

I'm thinking more likely it's going to be something in the controller or indeed just ditching that and getting a chinese one. My chinese bike is pretty quick but can't do hills very well. It also likes to snap spokes. I'd have went for a whoosh but they don't seem to offer finance
Did you manage to reach anywhere with de-limiting crossfire??

Hawky

Just Joined
Jul 2, 2019
Hi can anyone help , how can I derestrict the carrera crossfire ? Do I need a software update or is it just a simple mod ?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The only sure way is to chuck all the electrics except the battery and motor and replace them with a non-restricted controller set. That will require some soldering and wiring. If your bike has the torque sensor, you'll lose that and have to fit a conventional pedal sensor. The new controller will give you the option of a throttle too.

Reactions: Keifling

Advertisers