Looking for toughest freehub

simon_lipari

Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2014
Hi. Want to put my bbs02 on a new-ish MTB(27.5", 142x12), but destroyed the freehub last time I tried. Need a new wheel with the most torque resistant freehub I can find. Anyone have experience with hubs and bbs02? Could order a custom wheel from the UK to where I live in Italy.
Cheers,
Simon

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
i have had experience of riding on hope hubs which are good but at the moment I'm riding on Chris Kings which are the Bentley of hubs the build quality is very good and the torque which you can get through the hub is amazing nothing compares too anything else chris king are the best hubs on the market but they do come at a high price at the end of the day you do get what you pay for.

Hopes are really good but about half the price what Chris kings are and work well but if you want something to last and be bullet proof Chris king is the way forward.

The only thing i have had to do to my Chris kings is clean them and grease them nothing else there is 5 years warranty on parts of the Chris kings which is a good peace of mind when you are buying them

if you want the best torque Chris king will deliver that for you because there is a 72 teeth engagement inside the hub where on the hope they only a 24 tooth engagement which is a lot more slow compared to a Chris king for pick up

when i am riding on Chris king my battery on my bike e-bike will go 6 miles longer just because i am riding on Chris king hubs if i am using standard winter wheel with 24 tooth engagement i will lose the 6 miles

if you were to go for the Chris kings you are not going to get much change out of £1000 pounds and that is been honest and truthful with you and also you do have to make sure they have service regularly to keep them in good condition because of their engagement system is very different to any system at all and does require to maintenance to keep them in good order

They say roughly you should service a Chris king hub every 500 miles to 1000 miles on the conditions that you have been riding sometimes it can be longer sometimes it will be shorter

simon_lipari

Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2014
Wow those Chris King are pricey. Well I guess you're right, one gets what one pays for. I found that CRC sells custom wheels with Hope hubs, and they seemed more in my price range. On eBay I found a few wheels with Hope hubs, too.

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
Wow those Chris King are pricey. Well I guess you're right, one gets what one pays for. I found that CRC sells custom wheels with Hope hubs, and they seemed more in my price range. On eBay I found a few wheels with Hope hubs, too.
Hopes should serve you well in what you are planning on doing just get them serviced regularly to keep them in good order say about the 1000 miles mark and they should last you years with no problems really.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
am I the only member advocating for freewheels?
IMHO, freewheels are tougher than freehubs and cost peanuts to replace.

simon_lipari

Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2014
am I the only member advocating for freewheels?
IMHO, freewheels are tougher than freehubs and cost peanuts to replace.
Yeah I know, my folding bike with 20" wheels and BBS02 500w 7 speed seems indestructible anyway, it's crazy how I've punished this bike. Rear wheel cost something like £30, and all it does is climbing the steepest hills possible whithout falling backwards, with 34t front and 36t rear. Why I'm looking into hubs is because I have this trail bike with 27.5" wheels and through axles, so I need to use the 42t granny to not burn the mid drive while climbing steep, and need a 42t lekkie front chainring for the offset, which makes a big granny cog even more important. In hindsight purchasing this bike was a mistake, and I should've gone for a 26" QR frame and used a freewheel instead. Next time I'll be smarter.

Advertisers