Making my mark

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Has anyone ever made marks on the road with a bike? Like the council do with their line marking machines. Its doesn't have to be a permanent mark. It just needs to last long enough so I can find my trail, find the sharp object that punctured me and kill it!
What could I use? Paint, oil, bread, etc ..

2 punctures in 2 days. - At least I am able to fix them now! - A big thanks to the white an driver who stopped to offer help and a fellow cyclist who stopped to sympathize - I actually quite enjoyed the 5 mile walk. Made a change to actually see the scenery - everything is such a blur at 18 mph
:)
Alan

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
You could use slime inner tubes, they won't stop the puncture but it will spray brightly coloured liquid out. Remember to take a normal spare inner tube as I couldn't patch the slime one and ended up with a long walk to Halfords.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
You could use slime inner tubes, they won't stop the puncture but it will spray brightly coloured liquid out. Remember to take a normal spare inner tube as I couldn't patch the slime one and ended up with a long walk to Halfords.
If only you'd taken some photos. Its not supposed to spray is it? Maybe your tube was faulty. Knowing my luck mine will work. I suppose I could thin the slim with some thinners or something to guarantee spraying! Of course, I'd better check that the fluid is not poisonous. Don't want to harm any hedgehogs or ramblers!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Definitely not oil. Although heavy rainfall washes roads, drizzle can spread a small amount of oil into a thin coat over a wide area and create a problem for cyclists and motorcyclists.

I'd just use an aerosol can of car spray paint in a fairly prominent colour to spray an X, similar in the way council officers mark areas for patching etc. It's instant drying, wont affect road users and wears off with traffic action.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Definitely not oil. Although heavy rainfall washes roads, drizzle can spread a small amount of oil into a thin coat over a wide area and create a problem for cyclists and motorcyclists.

I'd just use an aerosol can of car spray paint in a fairly prominent colour to spray an X, similar in the way council officers mark areas for patching etc. It's instant drying, wont affect road users and wears off with traffic action.
All I need now are some volunteers to help me spray my route from Alton to Basingstoke and back again! ... I wonder how many cans I'll need! ...
:)

Advertisers