Making your own battery pack

tony18m2001

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 28, 2007
Leicester LE9, UK
Rebuilding an Ezee Cadence battery pack with Aldi 'C' cells continued

I posted this in April and need some advice. I did discharge tests on the 64 Aldi C cells and was happy with their 4Ah capacity (although I did manage to overcharge a couple which exploded the plastic insulator end of their cases - still seem to work OK, but presumably now of lower capacity so I wont be using them). I have finally got round to opening up my Li-ion battery case and have a problem - I cant work out how to fit 64 (or 60) cells in it. I always end up with a few that I cant sandwich between the 2 layers and still close the case. I am loathe to throw away the C cells and start again with AA cells as Flecc did So I am wondering what would happen if I substituted some 2500mAh AA cells in the assembly. I have just ordered 32 AA NimH from Hong Kong (eBay) at around £0.50 each. There are various ways I could do it and I would appreciate advice on the following options - originally I was going to connect 2 C cells in parallel and then 30 or 32 duos in series to make 36 or 38.4V, 8Ah:
1. I could make a 6.5 Ah battery by connecting 1 AA in parallel with 1 C, then these duals in series - is there a problem with self discharge between just 2 cells of different capacity?
2. I could probably stretch this idea to C + 2 X AA - would fit I believe.
3. I could substitute triplets of AA cells in parallel (=7.5 Ah) for some of the paired C cells - would this overstress the AA's? - I might be able to squeeze some sets of 4 AA's in parallel which would then presumably be safe from overdischarge
4. I could make a whole bank of AA's in series and parallel it up (via Schottky diodes?) with a bank of C cells.

ps I can post some pics of the Phylion Li-ion cells if anyone is interested - the cases were quite swollen after a year or so of disuse.
pps Flecc - your NimH 'loan' battery is now cutting out regularly after over 2000 miles or so at around 4Ah of discharge - the internal impedance has gone too high, I guess - my Cycle Analyst shows a minimum voltage as low as 25V. I might try and see if the problem is with just a few of the cells, once I've got a working substitute battery.

ppps - thank you Fecn for you confirmation of the performance of Aldi C cells.

Tony

Last edited:

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
1. I could make a 6.5 Ah battery by connecting 1 AA in parallel with 1 C, then these duals in series - is there a problem with self discharge between just 2 cells of different capacity?
2. I could probably stretch this idea to C + 2 X AA - would fit I believe.
3. I could substitute triplets of AA cells in parallel (=7.5 Ah) for some of the paired C cells - would this overstress the AA's? - I might be able to squeeze some sets of 4 AA's in parallel which would then presumably be safe from overdischarge
4. I could make a whole bank of AA's in series and parallel it up (via Schottky diodes?) with a bank of C cells.
Hi Tony,

Both options 1. and 2. should be good. I'd avoid options 3. and 4. though. The important thing when building a battery pack is to ensure that all the cell groups are the same configuration. Otherwise you're just asking for trouble.

ShepherdSpy

Just Joined
Jun 21, 2010
Dewalt?

Hi- I'm New to the forum,and like the idea of a DIY Battery pack,especially when I can't seem to be able to source an OEM replacement..
I have an E-Cycle branded bike which has a 12Ah Lead Acid battery,(36v) for a 180W hub motor.I've read that Dewalt Power tool batteries were a viable alternative for a self build battery pack,but looking on Ebay see that they're listed as being 18v,and only 2 Ah packs? Not married to the idea of Dewalts,just looking for advice/criticism on building a suitable alternative,preferably with a walk through! thanks..

Jasper13

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 21, 2009
I would guess that you may find building a DIY pack a bit tricky - what is the problem with replacing your existing pack?

RF

Advertisers