Max 48V controller voltage

superjonnyboy

Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2017
Caerleon, S.Wales
Hi all,

I have ordered a 60V conversion kit which I believe uses a 16S Li-ion battery. I think the 60V is nominal 3.75V/cell, so fully charged would be 67.2V. Does this sound right? Problem is, it's taking a looooong time to arrive and I've been looking at alternatives on eBay, where I see lots of 48V kits advertised.

Can someone tell me what the maximum voltage an unmodified 48V controller can take? Do they mean 48V nominal or fully charged? If my reasoning is correct I assume the batteries are 12S or 13S so the controllers must be capable of fully charger voltages of circa. 50-55V.

I'm trying to understand what the maximum Lipo cell count a typical 48V controller would be capable of.

Cheers, Jon

D

Deleted member 4366

You can't say what the maximum voltage is until you open it up. They're all different. Some even have a jumper to convert to 60v.

Reactions: superjonnyboy
D

Deleted member 4366

If you want 12S lipos, you must use a 48v controller. If you want 12S Li-ion, then most 36v ones work.. If you want 60v (16S), you need a 60v controller. Most 48v controllers will work with 15S.

You have to think about the low voltage cut-off, especially if you run without a BMS.

Reactions: superjonnyboy

superjonnyboy

Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2017
Caerleon, S.Wales
So a 48V controller will take 12S then? (Sweeping statement I know)

I assume from your post then that a 48V controller is set to cut off at the correct voltage for a 12S setup.

EDIT: Ignore, I got my 12 & 16S's mixed up!

Last edited:

Advertisers