[May 5, 2015] Box Hill, Dorking, Surrey Electric Bike gathering? (Rykas Cafe)

chris_comber

Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2014
Redhill, Surrey
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone would want to meet up at Rykas cafe, Boxhill, Dorking, Surrey one Sunday? I've been wanting to take my converted 1952 Schwinn Panther (250W 8Fun mid drive) out for a ride. It feels like there isn't really anywhere to go to meet other ebike riders on a regular basis. Wouldn't it be great if this became so popular that manufacturers starting bring their new bikes to show them off?? Anyway, let me know what you think?

Thanks,

Chris

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hello Chris,
Yes would love to Sunday is usually a work day for me, would be great to meet up one day and maybe a few others. My problem at the mo is just finding the time.
Box Hill not far from me so yes one day or anywhere else.

Last edited:

chris_comber

Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2014
Redhill, Surrey
Hi Nealh,

I guess the meet could be a Saturday or a Sunday.. I understand about time being limited.

Place wise, if this was regular, maybe it could alternative between Brighton and Dorking..

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I would bring my cst oxydrive as my BBS hybrid is a bit to heavy and large to put in the car and haven't got time at the mo to put the BBS on to my Cube ams. An off road get together up on the S/downs would be nice esp scenery wise.
I only know when I'm free about 3 or 4 weeks in advance as I work a flexi shift pattern and the rosters are only worked out on that time scale.

Reactions: chris_comber

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
Sounds a great idea. Saturdays probably better than Sundays, although either could be possible. Only problem is I don't get much free time at the moment due to having two young kids who I only really get to see at the weekend when I'm not working! If it were just meeting up in Dorking I'd bike there but that wouldn't leave me with much capacity for a ride out... :)

Michael

chris_comber

Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2014
Redhill, Surrey
I'd probably get the train there to save battery and just soak up the atmosphere. Maybe a cruise up to the top of Box Hill and down again, maybe along the top also. I've not hooked my 8Fun mid drive up to a mountain bike, but saying that I'm sure my Schwinn panther cruiser bike could take hard dirt paths etc.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Like wise I could cycle to Boxhill but battery for riding around would be compromised. Once I get the bbs conversion moved to my cube I would then have 2 batteries to play with :D.
The hybrid bbs at the mo is an option would manage light trail with the thin tyres also same 2 batteries.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I think I promised you an ale or 4 when I am ready for you to re programme my BBS Michael. Not a bad idea certainly not short of a few pubs in Dorking or on the one way system around the town.
Looking in my diary I'm free Sun17th May for ride or drink or both hic :):).

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
Unfortunately I doubt I'd be able to do that day as I'm off to the Merrist Wood show, and then the following two weekends I'm away on holiday. Sorry folks - perhaps I'd better sit this one out and join in the next one!

Michael

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hello Keith,
3's better than 2 so its a start, may be once a we can get a small social group together numbers may rise. Michael makes 4 when time and commitments allow.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Rykas café on the 24 in your 1st post is easy for parking if taking the car or park up on the triangle at Betchworth Golf club on the 25 before you get to Pixham lane to the east of the 24/25 roundabout in Dorking. Really depends on the modes of getting to Dorking, I shall drive with the bike in the back of the car and a time.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Chris and Keith I have pm'd you.