[May 5, 2015] Box Hill, Dorking, Surrey Electric Bike gathering? (Rykas Cafe)

chris_comber

Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2014
Redhill, Surrey
Hi Si, Ken,

I'd be up for meeting and I"m sure Neal and Keith would be interested as well. What weekends work for you all? I'm looking forwards to riding my ebike this year :).

I've just ordered a Nuvinci N360 which I'm hoping will improve my bike's performance. I might also order a lighter fork.

Fingers crossed the weather will start to improve soon...

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
2.4 kg in the rear wheel, Nexus Inter 8 and Rohloff 1.7 kg

It doesn't come without a cost (weight) ease of use. The NuVinci is also over -15% in efficiency. The most efficient gear hub is the Rohloff followed by the Inter 8 (1000 € price difference between the two).

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I'm probably going to have a go at the Nexus Inter 8. Not that I really need an around town friendly hub (the best feature for me is being able to change down when stopped) I do want something clean and out of the way. Maybe I'll mount a full chain guard.

Test in German (Google translates so so)
http://fahrradzukunft.de/17/wirkungsgradmessungen-an-nabenschaltungen-2/

Here is the graph

chris_comber

Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2014
Redhill, Surrey
At the moment my bike is running a Nexus inter 7. It's an ok hub, but I feel the range is limited and the gear change loses cadence/efficiency.

The Nuvinci will give me a better range and shifting that is smooth and able to shift under load. Having held both hubs I feel the weight different isn't enough for me to worry. I think it's 200gs different.

I'm also adding Carbon crank arms to the 8fun and a lighter front fork.

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
More like +600 or 700 grams. Over on endless sphere the NuVinci shifting under load seems to have some difficulty. I don't lend much attention because they are putting much more power through it in those cases and often on very heavy bikes.

My thought is to calculate gearing so that the Inter 8 will be used most often around town (22 km/h) in its most efficient gear (5th) where it is as efficient as a derailleur and about on a par with the Rohloff.

What is the advantage of the carbon arms? A slight give? My dream fork is the RST mono shock trekking fork which saves almost a kilo over normal suspension forks.

Will be following your reports with interest.

Reactions: chris_comber

chris_comber

Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2014
Redhill, Surrey
Pic of next forks. Obviously, they need a new paint job..... But they will be lighter and less momentum will be lost from diving.

My current ebike frame is a 1952 schwinn Panther. So, it's not a mountain bike etc.

Attachments

chris_comber

Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2014
Redhill, Surrey
Hi Guys,

FYI I'll be going to Brighton this Sunday for the Sunbeam MCC pre 1915 bike run. The bikes will be congregating by the pier near the small train that goes along the beach.

Let me know if you're interested.

Chris