Maybe a thread for 5kw+ conversions?

Stalkingcat

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2015
Hi all,
I've just joined after being in Endless Sphere world for a few years and can't seem to find much on here about powerful 'off-road' builds? It seems a shame that there doesn't seem to be a section for this in a UK based forum?
Maybe there is and I just can't find it???
Cheers, Rich

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
This section is it Stalkingcat. Not many of us go for uber powerful beasts, usually around the 1000-2000 watt range.

Maybe it's a British thing lol.

Stalkingcat

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2015
hehe, from a land that gave us the E type and Austin Healey?
We have to give the gas guzzlin yanks a run for their money, they dont acknowledge any less than 10kw!!

Post away anyone lurking with big ideas and even bigger batteries!

Stalkingcat

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2015
I'll fire away with my latest and greatest!
Actually the battery isn't that big, 100v in the top tube bag, will be set for 8kw. A few spare packs in a back pack and i should be good for 20miles. The Vboxx transmission will enable pedaling up to around 38mph. After that it's on its own:)

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
I'll fire away with my latest and greatest!
Actually the battery isn't that big, 100v in the top tube bag, will be set for 8kw. A few spare packs in a back pack and i should be good for 20miles. The Vboxx transmission will enable pedaling up to around 38mph. After that it's on its own:)
a complete noob question, but what controller do you use? and how much Ah is teh battery? great looking bike, somehow teh white gives it a stealth look that might go less noticed

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
a complete noob question, but what controller do you use? and how much Ah is teh battery? great looking bike, somehow teh white gives it a stealth look that might go less noticed
also here's to hoping this thread becomes a useful open minded sharing of experience and not another journey into the netherworld of EU/UK pedelec legislation and legality..

Stalkingcat

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2015
Its just 24s 5ah for quick runs to the shop and round the forest next to me.

I have 2 triangle bags, one for each side which can take another 10ah but yet to try it out.
If I don't want the bike to be crazzy heavy, I will prob stick to a spare pack in a rucksack....

Controller wise, I'm still undecided, either an Infineon based 18 fet, a Greentime 24 fet or an Adaptto 11kw beast, although I think I may save the Max-e for a purpose built 10kw frame that's in the pipeline...

Stalkingcat

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2015
Anyone else with build pics/ideas/questions, feel free to post on this thread.

I have a small shop selling ebike kit and am always getting questions about powerful builds, so I know you're out there:)

Stalkingcat

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2015
also here's to hoping this thread becomes a useful open minded sharing of experience and not another journey into the netherworld of EU/UK pedelec legislation and legality..
Exactly, please no comments about legalities!! we know that its illegal to take powerful builds on roads but still fun to build them and blast off road:)

My local world class mx track just got closed down because of noise. One day I'd love to get it opened up again but electrified.......

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
do you make much use of the vboxx?

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Exactly, please no comments about legalities!! we know that its illegal to take powerful builds on roads but still fun to build them and blast off road:)

My local world class mx track just got closed down because of noise. One day I'd love to get it opened up again but electrified.......
Not a legal hijack just a clarification for the unwary. It's illegal to use them off road too unless it's private land with no public access.

Reactions: D C

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
his bike may be legal of it has a 250W label on the motor.

Stalkingcat

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2015
do you make much use of the vboxx?
No too much yet, I tested it before conversion but still building this one up.
Its the same transmission used on the Stealth Bomber and people seem to love it. Pedaling at speed doesn't help too much with economy but apparently it give a surreal feeling of control. Ill let you know when i test it at speed.....

Stalkingcat

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2015
Not a legal hijack just a clarification for the unwary. It's illegal to use them off road too unless it's private land with no public access.
bike may be legal of it has a 250W label on the motor
hehe here we go but Interesting points and good to clarify at the start of the thread.
I've heard that before about 250w. I have plenty of 250w stamped motors which I run at over 3kw. Would they be technically legal builds?

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
And nowhere at all in Scotland as all land has public access, again just a note for the unwary and not a thread hijack.:)

Dave.

Reactions: JohnCade

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
hehe here we go but Interesting points and good to clarify at the start of the thread.
I've heard that before about 250w. I have plenty of 250w stamped motors which I run at over 3kw. Would they be technically legal builds?
As I said it's a clarification for the unwary who might be mislead by your post and no more than that. It's not" here we go" so don't make it so.

Stalkingcat

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2015
It's not" here we go" so don't make it so.
It wasn't meant like that, my 'here we go' was light-hearted, I do have the tendency to be overly sarcastic sometimes!!!:)
Its illegal pretty much around the world but freedom of ideas for builds and tech stuff, doesn't seem to overlap with legal issues on other international forums.
Like i said though, its good to get it covered at the beginning, almost like a disclaimer:)

Last edited:
Reactions: D C

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the new bike looks better than the old one. I like the weight distribution, it looks definitely high class with that vboxx. What's its current total weight?

Stalkingcat

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2015
Current weight is 31kg with 18" motorbike tyres, battery pack but no controller.

Not really chuck in the back of your car stuff but still a lot lighter than a Stealth bomber at 53kg.

Advertisers