Mission creep, more kit

Big Al your Pal

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 11, 2018
Having bought a Woosh Rio FB, I've now got a bit of mission creep on the equipment front after my 1st few short rides.
  • My hands are bloody freezing, what gloves would you recommend?
  • What d-lock should I purchase to help retain my new bike and where has anyone mounted it, as there isnt much room ?
  • What sort of trousers would you suggest might be suitable, got soaked to the skin in the mizzle today & I'm not suitable for lycra (not that there'd be any in my size)?
The Crimbo list will be easier this year that is for sure, I can think of getting:
  • Lights
  • Some sort of toeclip system
  • A coat with a long back
  • Panniers
  • Phone mount with water proofing

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Aldi do some good winter cycling gloves and/or ski gloves.
Altura night vision waterproof jacket and overtrousers are pretty good.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Try using the forum's search function for keywords as they've been discussed a few times - jackets cropped up just a couple of days ago - lights, security, gloves etc. topics are like 'what's the best oil' ones on motorcycle forums :)

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I bought some Endura Strike Gloves that are waterproof and warm when temperatures are low. I bought mine from Evans.

For a wind proof waterproof top layer I use the Altura Night Vision Evo Jacket specifically designed for cycling using a layering system of clothing underneath to keep warm dependent on temperature. It is waterproof initially and very reflective/bright to aid being seen on the road with zip side vents to aid air cooling as well as being a breathable material. It is also available at a reasonable cost if you shop around and in large sizes up to 3xl

For layering under the jacket I bought some Mountain Warehouse Talus Nens Baselayer Tops that are very good with a zip neck and generous length to keep your lower back warm available in large sizes and around a tenner each from Amazon.

I use BBB Classic Ride Pedals BBB Toe Clips and Straps for off and on road riding on my hardtail mountain bike. These pedals are well made strong and grippy . They are too small to use on their own without toe clips but their small size is an asset off road where they are far less prone to pedal strikes and robust enough to suvive the ones you inevitably have.

Get over your Lycra phobia as they make for a very good hard wearing base layer leggings for your legs that is hard wearing and perfect for cycling. Mine came from the Lidl when they were doing cycling stuff. Bargain. I use cheap Trespass waterproof and breathable over trousers when it is colder/wetter that use their TP75 waterproofing that is very good.

For a front light I am currently using a Sigma Buster 200 light with the silicon handlebar attachment to allow it to be completely taken off the bike easily and used on another or as a torch is one and a half years old and still working well. I use it on its middle brightest setting of the three it has and you can connect it to a computer to charge or a plug in mains charger. Obviously you can spend a fortune on lights but for my B road commuting needs this light has been very good. Bright enough for me, weighs very little and very easy to attach and detach and held securely when attached.

My Moon Comet MKII rear light is very bright and gets you noticed which is what you want. It is over two and a half years old and can also be attached and detached from the seat post very easily. I use it on its brightest flashing setting and refer to it as my rear gunner as it really gets me noticed by vehicles approaching me from behind day or night and I would definitely recommend it and buy another similar model from moon when I need to replace it. I also have a tiny but bright battery light also attached to the seat post as a back up were the moon to fail.

I use Ortleib back roller classic panniers that are an expensive investment but very good. Flexible load capacity and completely waterproof and very hard wearing. They have a clever system to allow them to be taken off the bike quickly and put on quickly and held securely when on the bike.

I use a kryptonite D lock but am lucky that I do not need to carry it to work as I have a room where I can leave my bike.

Reactions: Big Al your Pal

Big Al your Pal

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 11, 2018
Thanks George try you have given me a good start. As for lycra, maybe when I have about 10 stone of my rather robust frame ;-)

I purchased a bike toolkit from Aldi this evening, Allen Keys, tyre levers, puncture repair kit, small saddle bag for keeping it in with a small LED rear light, all for £8.99, which seemed very reasonable.

Advertisers