Modify a Cube road ebike for trail use?

John Frum

Just Joined
Dec 10, 2020
I have a Cube Kathmandu on which I've completed >4000 miles. Overall, I'm very happy with almost everything about it - apart from the fly-by-night company who sold it to me. However the bike paths in my area have, in the last year, become almost intolerable to ride most of the time. I'm sure I don't have to enlarge too much on this. I have reasonably close access to the South Downs Way and I'd like to use it.

As a pensioner, when I bought the Cube it was a big expenditure for me and I expected it to last many years. That was before Covid brought the multitudes out to clog up the paths. The prospect of losing half the cost of the bike when selling it privately is a bit sickening and cannot be justified given the acquisition cost of a more off-road capable bike. I'm thinking about one possible solution.

Is there any good reason not to invest about £400 (?) in a set of fully made up off-road wheels - ie with cassette, discs, tires fitted so that I can simply swap out the wheels when I want to go off road? I recognise the limitations but my needs are relatively modest. Could someone suggest what the optimal wheel and tire configuration might be, assuming that there's not some obvious show-stopper I haven't noticed. I'm not interested in pretending to be a MotoX rider having ridden trail motorbikes for years in the Tasmanian bush. Bin there dun that - too old and with bones too brittle to repeat the experience.
Roy

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I cope with SD terrain with my 700c CX bike without much issue and only use 38-42c tyres, between Lewes and Amberly there are many off piste routes I have covered.

As has been suggested just fit the widest knobbly tyres the rims and frames will allow.

Last edited:

John Frum

Just Joined
Dec 10, 2020
I cope with SD terrain with my 700c CX bike without much issue any only use 38-42c tyres, between Lewes and Amberly there are many off piste routes I have covered.

As has been suggested just fit the widest knobbly tyres the rims and frames will allow.
That more or less amounts to what I'm suggesting... If I'm going to buy a set of wheels and tires I may as well fit them with a cassette (I have a spare) and discs for a quick swap. I'd like to be able to use the current Schwalbe Marathon Tours on my existing wheels when it's convenient to do so - namely summer mornings before about 7.00 am.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Just fit some Schwalbe Smart Sam Plus as wide as your chainstay will allow, I went with 1.75 inch wide on my Boardman Hybrid for the summer for a bit off roading, now I'm back on Energisers and full mudguards for winter road use
The Smart Sam Plus offer good puncture protection and roll well on tarmac

Last edited:

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK

Kepler's settings (purple) works great for me on my BBS01, get good range, and assistance is natural and smooth, without dropping up and down, with the exception is that I set the 'keep current' to 100% (on the EP forums he is now running this setting)..just recently switched to these settings, wish I had done it earlier

Last edited:

Related Articles

Advertisers