Monkey Business

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
I've been using a Xtracycle, fitted on my hybrid non-electric bike, for about 8 months. In that time I've had a look at the Stokemonkey website several times and it has never been available to purchase. I think there may be some safety issues with the crank drive motor.
Incidently I think the Xtracycle would work great with one of the new Panasonic drive bikes, It's great for carrying a large load of shopping, very stable and a hoot to ride.
Feel free to contact me if anyone wants any information on it.

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
Iv'e seen a few of these types of long utility bikes but it's the very large and well designed pannier bags fitted on the Xtracycle that I really like.
Plus I felt that I had a bit of mileage left in my old non-suspension Hybrid which wasn't getting much use, so it was a cheaper option to convert it.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I saw an Xtracycle and Stokemonkey at the New Milton show when the owner turned up with it. It looks better in the flesh than in photos, neat and very strong looking motor installation, but my chat about it confirmed just how illegal it is in power and performance terms. More light motorcycle than pedal bike.

There are at least two Xtracycles about fitted onto Giant Lafree Twist bikes in the UK, and at least two more in the USA on their Giant version of the same bike, called the Lite. That's all the electrified Xtracycles I know of, but there's probably many more in the States using other motors.

The Ute was featured in one of the magazines a little while ago, I think it was Velovision, and it certainly looks a tough bike, inherently stronger than the Xtracycle. I'm always surprised we don't see more long cargo bikes in the UK, since they are far more efficient than a trailer with the extra drag the trailer tyres have.

M

mk1

I think Surly do an Xtracyle compatible frame but it costs an arm and a leg. Where did you buy yours from?

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mk1

I

The Ute was featured in one of the magazines a little while ago, I think it was Velovision, and it certainly looks a tough bike, inherently stronger than the Xtracycle. I'm always surprised we don't see more long cargo bikes in the UK, since they are far more efficient than a trailer with the extra drag the trailer tyres have.
I am thinking of ordering a Ute, it's a shame they don't make one with the Panasonic motor:( There would be somewhere to put the battery at least:D .

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
I think Surly do an Xtracyle compatible frame from but it costs an arm and a leg. Where did you buy yours from?
I think the sole importer of the Xtracycle is 'Loads Better' whom I purchased mine from and they were excellent to deal with.
As Flecc says a purpose built cargo bike is definitely going to be stronger than an add on attachment but my 11 stone isn't lightly to stress any bike too much.

M

mk1

I think the sole importer of the Xtracycle is 'Loads Better' whom I purchased mine from and they were excellent to deal with.
As Flecc says a purpose built cargo bike is definitely going to be stronger than an add on attachment but my 11 stone isn't lightly to stress any bike too much.
Just looked the Loads Better site they are asking £295, I think this makes the Kona look good value. As you say though those big bags and extra options would be useful. Hopefully Kona will bring out something similar in the luggage department.
Thanks for the info.

Martin

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Martin

You'll have seen the cameramen sitting backwards on motorcycles to film cycle races like the Tour de France I'm sure.

One of the most interesting applications for a Lafree Lite with an Xtracycle was as a camera platform, modified by William Morrison of Los Angeles for this purpose in a competitive event. For the event he was the cameraman with someone else riding.

These days he uses it as his daily commuter into the city, and he's added an SRAM dual drive hub/derailleur system to give a big speed range, well into the twenties.

M

mk1

One of the most interesting applications for a Lafree Lite with an Xtracycle was as a camera platform, modified by William Morrison of Los Angeles for this purpose in a competitive event. For the event he was the cameraman with someone else riding.

These days he uses it as his daily commuter into the city, and he's added an SRAM dual drive hub/derailleur system to give a big speed range, well into the twenties.
That would have been worth seeing!. Probably better than the event itself.
It sounds like a useful setup:)

Martin

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This was it before final conversion and the DualDrive added Martin. Not the best of pics though:

M

mk1

Flecc
As Kenny said, it would be good with one of the Kalkhoffs. The price would too high for me though:(

M

mk1

Unless you did evening taxi work with it, a cushion on the back in the way they do in Africa. :D
Judging by the size of some of the people I have seen getting into taxis, I think I will pass:D

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
Unless you did evening taxi work with it, a cushion on the back in the way they do in Africa. :D
:
:D Really though - The seating deck on the Xtracycle is a real bonus.

I regularly collect 2 of my kids (aged 6 & 9) from school and cycle short journeys to Cubs etc. They think it's really cool! (Though my daughter aged 11 gives it a miss!! :eek: )

The seating deck is actually rated to carry up to 90kg but without some sort of electric assist you would need legs like Lance Armstrong to pedal it, even in my fairly flat area.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
:

Really though - The seating deck on the Xtracycle is a real bonus.
It certainly is, and was ideal for the "camers car" application. I think if those African bicycle-taxi men had them, they'd be carrying two at a time and earning double. :)

M

mk1

I have now ordered the Kona Ute, it should be here mid Feb.
The plan is to add an electric kit of some kind. I think the bike will be very handy, and well suited to my needs.

Martin

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sounds good Martin, please keep us informed. It sounds like a good application for something powerful like a Crystalyte or higher power Heinzmann.

M

mk1

Yes I will keep you posted Flecc. There are a few to choose from. It really needs to be a rear wheel drive or possiby a drive through the gears type.
Not too worried about speed, just hill climbing ability and as little drag as possible when the motor is not on.

Martin

Advertisers