Mopeds with large wheels.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
For the last five years, a pedal cycle has been my sole form of transport. Lately, for longer journeys I am considering some form of powered transport.Range is an issue for me.An e bike with a 15 Ah battery would work most of the time. Speed is not important to me. Yesterday I was cycling at about 10 mph, into a headwind, when I was overtaken by a guy on a vintage moped, complete with pedals. It looked to be 1960/70 vintage, and looked very tidy. I pedalled up to 15 mph, and could stay with him, but not quite catch him. I thought a moped like that might suit me. I liked the large [26 inch?] wheels. I think these are much safer than the small wheels of modern mopeds. I have heard of two local accidents involving small wheeled mopeds and pot holes. One resulted in a broken ankle, and the other resulted in the death of a teenage boy. My question is, are large wheeled mopeds still made? Or even perhaps a 50cc geared motorcycle, designed for commuting rather than as some kind of race replica, in other words, a 50cc utility motorcycle?

Reactions: LeighPing

dinger19

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2014
Kent
Reactions: LeighPing

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Loads of 50cc mopeds around with bigger wheels than the scoots, either Chinese or Jap, although i would stick to Jap.
The only reason the ones in the 70's had pedals, was to get around the law so 16 yr olds could ride em in those days. Obviously that law doesn't apply anymore so any moped would do. You wouldn't want a 70's moped anyway, because if its anything decent it will attract a high price because of its classic status.
Something like a Honda 50 stepthru will be pretty cheap secondhand, and being Honda, it should be pretty reliable too.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Piaggio LIBERTY S 50 IGET

Big wheels, 4 stroke motor (silence, economy)

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
:)Away from the scooter style moped.
There are lots of 50cc bikes.
Super moto is big suspension road bike,
Off road ot trail style is made to deal with lumps.
So Kawasaki or piaggio are brands that spring to mind.;-)

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
I was lucky enough to buy a brand new fs1e/dx in August 1979 when I was 16 it was £370, iam absolutely staggered at how much a restored one is going for now. It was a great little bike which I still have fond memories of now.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Bought one myself around the same time. Trouble was, mine was restricted to a slow speed. My mates older versions did 50mph + Always last to the pub.

Whilst fun at the time and I too have many memories, looking back it was the most dangerous bike I have ever owned.

Reactions: rippedupno1

dinger19

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2014
Kent
Bought one myself around the same time. Trouble was, mine was restricted to a slow speed. My mates older versions did 50mph + Always last to the pub.

Whilst fun at the time and I too have many memories, looking back it was the most dangerous bike I have ever owned.
My Mk1 FS1E was gold in colour,but I think is was the purple ones that were restricted

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
My Mk1 FS1E was gold in colour,but I think is was the purple ones that were restricted
Seem to recall that mine was red so I guess that the restriction was applied to all bikes after a certain year.
May have been slow but it did have proper footrests instead of pedals.

rippedupno1

Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2013
Dudley,west midlands

As mine was post 77 it was restricted to 30 mph but it had regular footrests and not pedals, luckily for us the restriction technology was very basic, a restricted bore in the exhaust so like all my mates the first thing i did after the running in service was to pop into the local breakers and buy a pre 77 exhaust, which cost me the princely sum of £3, 10 mins with a spanner and voila, 48 mph. I never managed to get 50 on the flat even lying flat on the tank complete with left hand on the fork leg.
I agree looking back they were a little scary as my early disc brake was utterly useless in the wet and the non adjustable suspension didn't like pot holes, man hole covers or white lines but you just learnt to adjust to go your riding style to suit.

Reactions: SRS

rippedupno1

Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2013
Dudley,west midlands
My mate had one of those with the 70 cc head and barrel we were so jealous, he did try the 90 cc as well but could never get it to run reliably

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
The mid 70's were great days for us young uns to get into motorcycles. Have a Fizzie at 16, then a 250 at 17 and still on L plates...... then take a test whenever we felt like it, at a cost of only a few quid and all we had to do was ride round the block, the examiner on the pavement couldn't even see us most of the time. Everyone passed.
Halcyon days.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Lucky ol' you - I was inspired by a friend with a ring-a-ding-ting X7, I just missed 250 learner bikes by a year or two and so had a CB125T (with 17horsies rather than the normal 12hp) and had to take the 2 part test within two years. I finally passed the practical on the penulitimate day in the snow & ice on a borrowed CB100N with dodgy brakes.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Wicky I started with the cb125 t2 as well. The acceleration was slow and the handling crap, compared to the cb100n it maxed at around 65 but what fun throwing it on its side, zigzagging and generally nicer than the fat sluggish ( but faster eventually)125.
Those were the days before mr smith and his white Datsun nearly killed me

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
Can't you just get a Category A1 small motorbikes Provisional licence and then get something like a Honda Innova. At least you could then keep up with traffic.
I have a full motorcycle license. I meet the legal requirements for eyesight, even though five years ago I went blind in one eye. I have not ridden or driven since, as I lack confidence.I cycle every where. I figure I could manage a moped, as it it is not much faster than a bicycle.

Reactions: EddiePJ

Advertisers