Mopeds with large wheels.

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
Can't you just get a Category A1 small motorbikes Provisional licence and then get something like a Honda Innova. At least you could then keep up with traffic.
Agree; the Honda Innova is bomb-proof. I ran one for years with minimal servicing. It never failed to start (or stop!), romped through MOT's and sipped petrol. I bought it when it was 3years old, sold it 5 years later and lost very little on it. There are tales of people going round the world, fairly slowly, on them.
Best wishes!
Tom

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
My first moped was a fanbelt primary drive/chain secondary drive Raleigh step through.

Not quick, but reliable enough.

I then had an FS1e, something rings a bell about removing a small pin in the carburettor housing to get more grunt because with the pin out could open the throttle wider.

Were I buying today, as other have said, Honda or one of the other established Japanese manufacturers would be my first choice.

A mate of mine works for the UK importer of Kymco, which are a bit cheaper.

My mate tells me most Kymcos are close to Japanese quality, but they did have a couple of bad models.

Those are now sold and no longer imported, so a new Kymco would be a reasonable budget option.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
Well, I finally ended up buying a 2002 model Honda CG 125.It qas the first electric start version, but they retained the kick start. I paid over the odds for it, considering it had been neglected. I have enjoyed working on it. Work includes, new rear tyre, rebuilding a duff starter motor, stripping and servicing the drum brakes, and the usual service work of new plug, oil change, tappets etc. The final drive ratio had been modified by fitting non standard sprockets, 15 t front and 38T rear. I fitted the standard sprockets, 14T front and 44 rear, lowering the ratio to standard. It must have been well overgeared as it is now about 10 MPH faster! I am really enjoying riding it.

Reactions: flecc

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Well, I finally ended up buying a 2002 model Honda CG 125.It qas the first electric start version, but they retained the kick start. I paid over the odds for it, considering it had been neglected. I have enjoyed working on it. Work includes, new rear tyre, rebuilding a duff starter motor, stripping and servicing the drum brakes, and the usual service work of new plug, oil change, tappets etc. The final drive ratio had been modified by fitting non standard sprockets, 15 t front and 38T rear. I fitted the standard sprockets, 14T front and 44 rear, lowering the ratio to standard. It must have been well overgeared as it is now about 10 MPH faster! I am really enjoying riding it.
Good choice....
The CG125 has always had a great reputation. You wont go far wrong with that...... and if you ever want to sell it you'll have no probs getting a good price, they are sought after bikes for learners.

• Agree

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
I work on motorcycles daily (multi make but Piaggio/ Vespa/ Aprilia main dealer).

First off unless you're lucky a 2nd had geared moped will be a wreck, young lads seem to be able to destroy them in short order!.

Secondly, not being snobbish buy generic Chinese mopeds awful; cheaply built and reliability is very questionable, we sell plenty of bikes to previous owners of these.

As said, Piaggio Liberty 50 is a good choice, big wheels and should do 40mph with no nasty surprises.

We have sold quite a few Piaggio Medley 125's as well, these are bigger wheeled with stop-start technology to give excellent mpg, not a handfull to control either.

If you want an opinion on a bike feel free to PM me, I've been repairing bikes of all makes over 18 years now so have seen the good (and the very bad!).

Chinese seem to show good value for money but as has been said aboved you'd be far better off with a second hand Japanese/ Italian made bike for similar money!.

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
Sorry just read you picked up a Honda cg125, good choice and nigh on bulletproof if you service them on time!.

• Agree

Advertisers