More ebike woes

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
still no match for the way CD motors are protected against mud and water.

D

Deleted member 4366

still no match for the way CD motors are protected against mud and water.
There's been some Bafang BBSxxs that caught fire because water got into the unit. The controller's mosfets sit right at the bottom, so when salty water gets in in the winter, it shorts the battery directly to ground. One guy just happened to be in his garage, when smoke started coming out of his bike with a crackling noise.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I meant Panasonic, Bosch etc not BBS.
I am not a big fan of Bafang BBS.

tringmotion

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2016
GB
I have not read every post, but it shouldn't have taken that long.
I fix this problem frequently.
What you need to do is keep on top of the rear derailleur adjustment as it seems to lead to the problems that you describe.
I don't normally have to replace the rear hanger, it's normally the derailleur pivots that have failed from the strain.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
I do need to learn how to adjust the gears properly, I know they wont be right now as I have had to redo the cable as they managed to make a complete hash of that

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Plenty of YouTube videos on gear adjustment and once done you realise how easy it is.
Just done mine on a brand new Marin Muirwoods that the dealer never even removed from the box before sending to me along with rear disc alignment!

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
There's various youtube vids on how to do it. Watch at least three because they often miss important things.

Basically, put in top gear; adjust the end-stop screw; adjust the cable clamp until the cable just takes up the tension( cable tension adjuster/s screwed right in); press the changer to go down one gear; adjust the cable tension until that one gear changes properly; pull it all the way to bottom gear and adjust the end-stop; check the position of the upper jockey wheel that should just have a bit of clearance from the first gear; adjust it with the screw behind the axle; check that all the gears change properly; make fine adjustments to the cable tension if they don't.
d8veh, I read your post several times to visualize in my head what you are saying then went to do it today and after undoing it all I sorted the gears easy and didn't need youtube. Many thanks

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
I do need to learn how to adjust the gears properly, I know they wont be right now as I have had to redo the cable as they managed to make a complete hash of that
Andy, d8veh has put everything you need to know about rear gear adjustment in post #49

Reactions: Andy Bluenoes
D

Deleted member 4366

Yes, It's really very simple when you know how. I think a lot of people are put off because it looks complicated, but it isn't.

D

Deleted member 4366

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The Lidl Crivit model is in stores for 24.99.
I use my new one yesterday and feels heavy duty and now realise they make tinkering a lot easier. Remove the battery to make weight a bit easier

• Agree
Reactions: Wheel-E

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I use an old saddle post to attach the bike to the stand.
Much easier than with the normal post with the saddle on it and avoid scratching the post too.

• Informative
Reactions: D C and awol

aardvark5

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 25, 2014
ST3 Blurton
The Lidl Crivit model is in stores for 24.99.
I use my new one yesterday and feels heavy duty and now realise they make tinkering a lot easier. Remove the battery to make weight a bit easier
That is made by a lot of companies who put their name on it. The stand is OK and I now use it to put a PA speaker on however the vice is useless.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
My bike weighs a tonne...although its supposed to weigh 23kg, it feels like a lot more. The cheap ones just dont look like they would take the weight

aardvark5

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 25, 2014
ST3 Blurton
My bike weighs a tonne...although its supposed to weigh 23kg, it feels like a lot more. The cheap ones just dont look like they would take the weight
My Cyclotricity Stealth was around that weight and it destroyed the Lidl stand. I was forever taping the vice clamps up and at one point I'd attached metal strips but it finally snapped and I nearly hurt my back catching the bike.

It was OK with this bike but it was only 10kg -

I then fitted these to the wall and they work quite well as long as you put them at the optimum height -

I then bought the Park Tools for £70 and that will hold 23kg easy peasy.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0385.JPG

mine is a cheap lidl stand tho it has a screw than a clamp and can still take the waight of me bike even with the batt ;)

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
I bought the lidl stand and it's great for the odd use and price. i also have the wall bike hanger that holds two bikes and folds when not in use a fraction of the price of park one.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK

Advertisers