Motor hall signal abnormality

rig the jig

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2019
Hi all, I had a swytch system, I think is was iteration 2 , which I decided to replace with a bigger battery, KT controller, 12 magnet PAS, a twist throttle, and a KT5 lcd display. the only swytch part left is the 250W motor, with a nine pin connector. After assembling all the bits, and using the "walk" function to test the system, error three comes up , "motor hall signal abnormality" Any help would be much appreciated. Update, I heated the motoer cable connections, and the wheel functions on "walk mode", but does not turn when activated by the PAS. I ordered an 8 magnet PAS but received a 12 magnet unit. I'm going to remove half the magnets to see if this will work.

Rig the jig.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Did you have correct C1 parameter set ?
Or tried back pedal ?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi all, I had a swytch system, I think is was iteration 2 , which I decided to replace with a bigger battery, KT controller, 12 magnet PAS, a twist throttle, and a KT5 lcd display. the only swytch part left is the 250W motor, with a nine pin connector. After assembling all the bits, and using the "walk" function to test the system, error three comes up , "motor hall signal abnormality" Any help would be much appreciated. Update, I heated the motoer cable connections, and the wheel functions on "walk mode", but does not turn when activated by the PAS. I ordered an 8 magnet PAS but received a 12 magnet unit. I'm going to remove half the magnets to see if this will work.

Rig the jig.
Motor hall signal anomaly is most likely the motor connector not pushed in far enough, or the connection at the controller end, assuming that your motor was working with the old controller. As long as you have error 3, nothing else will work, so no point in changing pedal sensor or throttle, but you should disconnect them when you test the walk assist because you can also get error 3 when there's a short on the 5v, which could be because you have the incorrect connection sequence on one of those connectors.

Once you have the walk assist working, you can figure out the other things, like the settings.

rig the jig

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2019
Walk assist is now giving error 3 , I have the other parameters set, max speed 25Kms, wheel size 700c, , with the pedal assist connected, I'm getting a flashing led on forward rotation, my next trick is probably to extend battery cables temporarily, and connect the controller in without the extension cable I had to fit. When I spin the motor wheel I'm getting a speedometer reading on the display, if that helps.
Rig the jig. The operation manual that came with the display gives no option for setting C1 what am I missing ?? are there hidden menus ??

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If error 3 then one needs to test the motor Hall sensors for switching on/off.
Testing isn't as easy if you don't have SM block connectors.

rig the jig

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2019
I have a spare 9 pin round connector with cable, that would allow me test the continuity of hall sensors, can they be replaced if faulty, its a bafang hub motor. Would it be possible to buy a sensor board with the sensors on it, that way I could eliminate the sensors as the problem. I need to know what model bafang is fitted to the swytch bike.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I have a spare 9 pin round connector with cable, that would allow me test the continuity of hall sensors, can they be replaced if faulty, its a bafang hub motor.
It's not too difficult to replace them, but you should test them first. I'd be very surprised if one is actually faulty. Normally the problem is elsewhere.

rig the jig

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2019
Thanks for that , I'll do some more checking.
, The extension nine pin connector I ordered was faulty, so I have an old one that works ok, walk assist is working, but no motor activation when I rotate the pedals, although the LED on the PAS sensor flashes. I don't know where to go from here. I'm using a 12 magnet PAS, I'm thinking of making it a 6 magnet by removing every second magnet.

Advertisers