Motor shuddering under load

Hightechpete

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2018
west Wales
I recently acquired a 24v city shopper in as new condition, it had been stored for some time and the battery was dead. As a new battery was needed I thought it would be worthwhile to upgrade to 36v.
So a brainpower controller and a s866 lcd were installed along with a 36v yosepower battery, everything works fine under no load conditions and upwards of 5 or 6 mph, but until this speed is reached there is a shuddering from the front wheel motor (? octopus 3 phase wires) worse if the throttle is used from standstill.
The torque washers are installed correctly and there are no mechanical issues with the spindle or forks.
Is the motor not up to the job, should I revert back to 24v, or is there some incompatibility between the controller and the motor that can be resolved?.

Hightechpete

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2018
west Wales
Further to the above, I've done some research and it appears that what I'm experiencing is 'cogging' due to the motor being sensorless. I don't know if a sensorless controller would resolve the throttle issue, but for now it will be pedal assist only.

Advertisers