Multifuel woodburner stove?

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
What are your thoughts? hot ine, which model and why?

I am looking into having one installed as gas fire is pretty dangerous and would be nice to sort of open old fireplace and put a black box thing in. Small room... looking into the Aga small wenlock or Morso Squirrel 1410 or 1430. But am getting tad confused. Doesn't help being told by ne installer to go view stoves in his shop only to be told they don't have any with back boiler to suit small room....

need new big water cylinder thing though if I go for boiler. be shame nit to heat water as well but not sure if extra cost worth it.. Am awaiting quote with and also without the boiler side of things.

looking to also make a 'paned' on the top of it :)

Am awaiting quote from one who visited today.... Can get stoves cheaper online than the 'supplier' aka installer by £200 but if I get stove separate from them then the other work goes up as they reduce their 'discount'...... Hmmm?

Waiting list with this latest loke is 4 weeks but need to get it done before t'other half comes home as he bans diy when he's here so muggins has to sort stuff out when he is playing with Lusitano (is that a ship?) in Germany and then onto Framce to play with cons ironically!

john h

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 22, 2012
murthly castle estate
ever thought of a rocket stove wissy,I built one 4 years back in an out building runs of twigs great heat, seen coil attachment for heating water ,lots of info on google,:confused:[ just a thought]

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs

danfoto

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2010
Sarfeast England
FWIW we reckon that (a) the current Little Wenlock is a poor thing compared to the original ones and (b) anything with Morso on it is expensive for what it is. We also reckon that an awful lot of stove suppliers are full of schidt.

After various mistakes, we've settled on a Clearview Pioneer in the kitchen and a small Stovax Brunel in the front room, both of which are now in their third years, and both of which we'd gladly buy again if we had to. The Clearview spends most of the winter boiling two kettles on top of it which supply all our winter hot water apart from baths, and we also do a lot of baking on a "Welsh Bakestone" (aka a slab of 1/2" boiler plate) on top of it ...

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/danfoto_photos/bredbunz_zps9776ba82.jpg

At one time we ran a woodburner with a back boiler on, but in our present house it's just not cost-effective to convert the waterworks. And besides, the Pioneer kicks out so much heat that we very rarely need to run the central heating to boost it for an hour first thing, even when it's seriously cold.

Don't forget that you need a lot of storage space for a winter's worth of seasoned logs ...

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/danfoto_photos/logtree_zps85d0da8e.jpg

Last edited:

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
What are your thoughts? hot ine, which model and why?

I am looking into having one installed as gas fire is pretty dangerous and would be nice to sort of open old fireplace and put a black box thing in. Small room... looking into the Aga small wenlock or Morso Squirrel 1410 or 1430. But am getting tad confused. Doesn't help being told by ne installer to go view stoves in his shop only to be told they don't have any with back boiler to suit small room....

need new big water cylinder thing though if I go for boiler. be shame nit to heat water as well but not sure if extra cost worth it.. Am awaiting quote with and also without the boiler side of things.

looking to also make a 'paned' on the top of it :)

Am awaiting quote from one who visited today.... Can get stoves cheaper online than the 'supplier' aka installer by £200 but if I get stove separate from them then the other work goes up as they reduce their 'discount'...... Hmmm?

Waiting list with this latest loke is 4 weeks but need to get it done before t'other half comes home as he bans diy when he's here so muggins has to sort stuff out when he is playing with Lusitano (is that a ship?) in Germany and then onto Framce to play with cons ironically!

I installed a Vermont Castings Intrepid last year. I went for that model because you can load the fuel through a top hatch as well as the front doors which means that virtually no ash or dust escapes. They do a Multi-fuel model, which I installed, but I'm not sure if they do one with a boiler. They are a bit expensive, but the quality is very good.

danfoto

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2010
Sarfeast England
If I remember rightly, it was somewhere in Germany. They're into their wood piles there.

Do a Google image search for holzmiete :cool:

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
This approx. 5 cubic metres of off cuts from my last oak framing job, and is also the start of another stack which I may make into a massive log hobbit house.

You can never have too much wood.

Even more.

Last edited:

Richard_M

Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2013
Ely, East Englia.
Hello Wissy, I can only dream of woodpiles like these. Unfortunately there are b*gger all trees in East Anglia. Here's my tatty old MORS0 Squirrel (with a back boiler) aboard narrowboat 'Patent Pending' burning a tiny, invisible coal fire tonight:

IMG_0023.jpg

These stoves are the virtual standard on the boats and maintained twice a day, that tiny fire will be in until Spring. Unbelievable but true. With good strings in the doors, they're the master of slow burn.

Rather later, it's getting a bit nippy on the river, so I riddle out and open the stove up and...whoosh:

IMG_0024.jpg

That's the kind of stove that I like. Idles all day then lights up as required. A MORS0 Squirrel with an 8' stack.

Last edited:

Advertisers