Need help with electric hub - cracked rotor magnet panel

Airwheeluser

Just Joined
Oct 5, 2014
Hi, can someone please give me some advice? I have an electric unicycle (which turns out not to be a genuine manufacturer device but is a copy). As a result, I will not get any warranty support.

The unicycle used built-in brushless electric hub motor. the internal surface of the rim carries magnets in panels (my guess is they are N/S/N/S polarised, from what I have read on forums in the last day or two). The unicycle stopped working (the electrics were obviously encountering some mechanical obstruction and shutting down with an alarm beep).

I wanted to understand why it had stopped, so I followed the usual instructions provided for replacing the tyres, to dismantle the vehicle. I've checked the bearings on both sides of the axle and they are fine. I am confident the electronics are working fine as I had been riding the unicycle fine until it started having this issue.

On opening the hub motor up, I can see the following problems.

1. The outer surfaces of the stator and rotor are dirty, with fine sooty black deposits and what looks like some rust has formed on the magnets on the rotor and the stator. Considering the
2. It looks like there has been a small amount of water ingress and I noticed there is no actual seal on either side on the outer hub casings (they are bolted onto the hub by a set of nine allen key screws, and there is a thin lip on each casing which slots to the hub, but no other form of sealant.
3. One of the small magnet panels on the rotor is cracked in the centre and feels slightly raised from the others. I suspect this is catching as the wheel rotates on the stator.

Can anyone advise me whether it's possible to remove the cracked magnet panel and replace it? If so, how do I make sure its polarity is correct? Where do I get hold of the parts and guidance on how to do the job myself? And if it's better to get someone else to do that, can you recommend anyone close to me (I live in the North West, close to Wigan)?

D

Deleted member 4366

I doubt very much that the cracked magnet is causing your problem. If it's loose, mark it, take it off and glue it back with a bit of epoxy.

The first thing to check is the battery. You need to measure the voltage from each cell or cell-group. The next possibility is any hall sensors used for controller timing. After that, you need to test the MOSFETs.

Show us some photos of the electronics and we might be able to give more specific help.

Advertisers