New battery

ian Tweedie

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2016
Just got a new battery from Juicy Bike for my Trek bike fitted with Juicy Bike kit I bought a couple of years ago On fitting it however no traffic light display indicating a further problem. Emailed Bob at Juicy bikes who responded very rapidly and most helpfully suggesting there was most likely a broken connection somewhere
Most fortunately -before I got completely overwhelmed by this technical project - found that a connection amongst the mass of wiring under the battery holder had come loose Reconnectiing this provided usual light display and power!
Before I reconnect everything am puzzled (haven't been out on bike for quite some time) that motor and drive of front wheel starts up automatically as soon as ignition is turned on- unless I push green button to stop power coming on. (My recollection is that power only normally comes on when either I use the throttle or start cycling) Am I missing something? (My apologies if this seems really silly question!)
Thanks. Ian

D

Deleted member 4366

So it couldn't be water in the throttle then.

ian Tweedie

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2016
Thanks
Don't think so as throttle actually works Just can't recall power coming on immediately with ignition on and green isolator button off

Ian

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
@Dave - Ian bought and tried a 24V battery before realising he needed a 36V and so then getting a replacement from us. Longshot: Could that have upset the controller? Have to suggest a short somewhere as being the most likely cause.
I am away from base at the moment but phoning the workshop in the morning will ellicit controller model number.

D

Deleted member 4366

I can't see any way a 24v battery would damage anything. The normal reason for that behaviour is water in the throttle if nothing else has been touched. The other ways I can think of is that the throttle has been incorrectly wired so the 5v goes straight down the signal wire, or a short circuit on the throttle wire somewhere

Ian, tell us the whole story. Did you do anything else to the bike other than insert the battery?

D

Deleted member 4366

Thanks
Don't think so as throttle actually works Just can't recall power coming on immediately with ignition on and green isolator button off

Ian
Hang on. what do you mean by power coming on? We're interpreting that as the motor starts up by itself.

Actually, now I think about it, that shouldn't be possible because the controller should only give power after it's detected a zero throttle condition.

ian Tweedie

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2016
I can't see any way a 24v battery would damage anything. The normal reason for that behaviour is water in the throttle if nothing else has been touched. The other ways I can think of is that the throttle has been incorrectly wired so the 5v goes straight down the signal wire, or a short circuit on the throttle wire somewhere

Ian, tell us the whole story. Did you do anything else to the bike other than insert the battery?

Thanks for your thoughts
Early this morning it occurred to me that (presumably? ) the 24 v battery couldn't have affected anything because when I connected it to the battery post no power was getting through ie no lights and everything dead This would i think inevitably be the case because of the loose connection among the other cables under the battery which I discovered later once got the new battery from Bob a few days later
I will need to check and see if the throttle is somehow stuck on
By power coming on I mean the front hub starts up as soon as I depress the green button without any other input
Have had no problems before with this great kit until returned home after being away on holiday for a few months
On turning on the ignition then and turning the throttle the front hub operated normally but only for a few seconds and power then died
I assumed (it now appears wrongly that the battery was dead) but this would be consistent -would it not-with loose connection at the rear?

ian Tweedie

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2016
Just checked bike again
Front wheel starts up as soon as green button depressed Throttle can still operate independently while this is going on

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Just checked bike again
Front wheel starts up as soon as green button depressed Throttle can still operate independently while this is going on
This is the confusing part.

If the motor is spinning, how can you confirm the throttle is operational?

Can you give more detail please.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
As D8veh says, the controller would normally check before enabling the throttle. Disconnect throttle, power cycle and report result here...

ian Tweedie

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2016
As D8veh says, the controller would normally check before enabling the throttle. Disconnect throttle, power cycle and report result here...

Thanks Alan
How do I disconnect the throttle most easily-a lot if wiring visible!
How do I disconnect power cycle ?

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Disconect throttle, then cycle through power, missing comma

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Almost sounds as if the throttle and pedal sensor have been connected to each others controller connections.
Sorry for the tardy response. Follow the cables from the throttle and disconnect it from the controller to see if the motor still spins when you switch on the battery.

ian Tweedie

Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2016
Could it be that I have reconnected loose connectors the wrong way round?
Anyway there is another loose connection so will try and post a couple of photos to see if that makes position clearer

Attachments

Advertisers