New battery

diverdave

Just Joined
Oct 29, 2023
Hello everyone, myself and my husband both have Raleigh e bikes. One of them requires a new battery and given it's said they should last 2 - 5 years, why is it so difficult to get information on refurbishing an old battery or getting a new one at a sensible price. Our batteries have lasted about 6 years, so we've done well, but I don't like being ripped off with this sort of thing.
Surely, with the number of e bikes around today, that a replacement battery should be easy to come by and at a sensible price!

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
" a replacement battery should be easy to come by and at a sensible price! "

They are, just not for many built in. Designs change, frame shapes and so on which is why I NEVER considered them.

That is the beginners falldown, proprietary fit batteries that fit in a frame, which is why I chose a bike where external batteries are easily available. Contact the manufacturer/distributor.

Three years from now many many many people are going to be struggling to get batteries that are no longer made for the "frame" inserts, hence my choice and many others, external, I have converted BOTH my bikes, 720 watt batteries easily available. I appreciate many buy new but that is the joke, when the battery dies, good luck.

IMG_1626.JPG

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Surely, with the number of e bikes around today, that a replacement battery should be easy to come by and at a sensible price!
External batteries are readily available in several different formats and capacities.

But your eBikes use a battery that is probably specifically for that eBike, so contact Raleigh, or the dealer you got them from for details.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
This is where things get very expensive if the battery is a proprietary battery, the dealer brand can and will charge silly money for a new one. Even worse if it is a bosh ,yamaha et al type of bike.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hello everyone, myself and my husband both have Raleigh e bikes. One of them requires a new battery and given it's said they should last 2 - 5 years, why is it so difficult to get information on refurbishing an old battery or getting a new one at a sensible price. Our batteries have lasted about 6 years, so we've done well, but I don't like being ripped off with this sort of thing.
Batteries are easy and cheap to get for many years after your purchase if you buy the right bike. Unfortunately for you, Raleigh isn't the right one; however, there are sellers who have reasonably priced ones for them, but I can't show you because you didn't give us a clue for which one you need. Raleigh have made a lot of different ebikes!

Stanebike

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2020
Hi Saneagle
I have the offer of a Raleigh Stoweway that needs a new battery. They have TranzX electrics. The Raleigh price for the batteries is stupidly high making the bike worthless unless you know of a reasonably priced battery to suit. Any suggestions?

diverdave

Just Joined
Oct 29, 2023
Thank you all for your interesting replies . Firstly, we are not novices to cycling with 65 years of pleasure cycling under our belts . It was not a mistake buying our two Raleigh e bikes as they have external rear carrier mounted batteries which are easily removed from the rack for charging . Considering we have had the e bikes about six years, I think we have had very good service out of them . We wouldn't buy a frame mounted battery e bike . If anyone knows where we can get a rack mounted battery I would be very interested to hear. Diverdave

Reactions: robert44

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Hi Saneagle
I have the offer of a Raleigh Stoweway that needs a new battery. They have TranzX electrics. The Raleigh price for the batteries is stupidly high making the bike worthless unless you know of a reasonably priced battery to suit. Any suggestions?
If the casework and BMS are good, you can buy pre-made cell-packs; I've seen some on ebay before, and certainly Ali. Search using the TranzX BL product number. No idea what cells or how good they are, but they are/were cheap (IIRC £150 ish?)

If anyone knows where we can get a rack mounted battery I would be very interested to hear.
And again, you give us no clue as to WHICH Raleigh bike model/battery system used to proffer help/advice/ a source for a replacement. Apart from the bike model/name, there should be label on the battery itself showing manufacturer/model number which almost certainly won't be Raleigh, but helps a lot.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Another source of what seems to be the 'standard' Stowaway battery:
or recelling
https://www.countybattery.co.uk/battery-repair-service/tranz-x-36v-8ah-lithium-e-bike-battery-pack-rebuild-and-repair-service/
I don't think this is the precise battery, but check with them.
I haven't used either of the above suppliers so can't vouch for them.

I haven't seen any reference to a rack mounted battery for a Stowaway.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
If anyone knows where we can get a rack mounted battery I would be very interested to hear. Diverdave
They're all over the internet. Many now from UK wharehouses. You buy the whole rack so make sure it is fit for youe wheel size. Pick the capacity you want and the voltage.
When you find one, post it on here and there will be help with knowing if the cells are good, or too good to be true at the price.
Here's a starter:

Not going to select one because I don't know your wheel size or what range you want, or voltage.

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
External batteries are readily available in several different formats and capacities.

But your eBikes use a battery that is probably specifically for that eBike, so contact Raleigh, or the dealer you got them from for details.
That's what I said

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
If the casework and BMS are good, you can buy pre-made cell-packs; I've seen some on ebay before, and certainly Ali. Search using the TranzX BL product number. No idea what cells or how good they are, but they are/were cheap (IIRC £150 ish?)

And again, you give us no clue as to WHICH Raleigh bike model/battery system used to proffer help/advice/ a source for a replacement. Apart from the bike model/name, there should be label on the battery itself showing manufacturer/model number which almost certainly won't be Raleigh, but helps a lot.

100% helps if we get the full info, same as I have a ford, yes, which !!!!

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
They're all over the internet. Many now from UK wharehouses. You buy the whole rack so make sure it is fit for youe wheel size. Pick the capacity you want and the voltage.
When you find one, post it on here and there will be help with knowing if the cells are good, or too good to be true at the price.
Here's a starter:

Not going to select one because I don't know your wheel size or what range you want, or voltage.
You need to be careful with generic advice here; 6 years ago, Raleigh offered a number of e-bikes using TranzX batteries/electrics (some CANbus, some PST which pre-dates that change) and made big changes to their whole range in 2017/2018 to then include Bosch (also CANbus). IMHO there's a strong possibility the OP's battery is not a generic 2-wire one. At 6-years old, it could be old model stock being cleared or a then newer model, which is why the OP needs to be very clear as to what Raleigh bike he actually owns.

Reactions: StuartsProjects

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
You need to be careful with generic advice here; 6 years ago, Raleigh offered a number of e-bikes using TranzX batteries/electrics (some CANbus, some PST which pre-dates that change) and made big changes to their whole range in 2017/2018 to then include Bosch (also CANbus). IMHO there's a strong possibility the OP's battery is not a generic 2-wire one. At 6-years old, it could be old model stock being cleared or a then newer model, which is why the OP needs to be very clear as to what Raleigh bike he actually owns.
And that's why we need PHOTO'S !

• Agree
Reactions: cyclebuddy

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
And that's why we need PHOTO'S !
Photos, a name, a model, some info off the battery, any clues whatsoever... if the OP can't be bothered, why should we?

Checking the Raleigh website just now, apart from TranzX and Bosch, they use Suntour too on some models, so it seems the OP is tied one way or another.

Maybe we should just quote Raleigh... which in a nutshell is to say that once your Raleigh battery is life expired, your e-bike is basically junk and you should just go and buy a new one.

Here's what Raleigh actually say on their website:

"Can electric bike batteries be replaced?

It's highly unlikely you'll ever need to replace your electric bike battery over the lifetime of your bike, due to the technology's durability. While it is often possible to replace the batteries and electric motors on e-bikes, it's more often than not cheaper and easier to look at investing in a new bicycle altogether. When your e-bike battery begins to cause you trouble, it's likely going to be time for an upgrade!

Batteries are expensive on their own and you're best to buy yourself a new bike."

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
If anyone knows where we can get a rack mounted battery I would be very interested to hear. Diverdave
These are very reasonably priced:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Batteries are expensive on their own and you're best to buy yourself a new bike."
Raleigh are certainly pessimists. They also say (on the same page)
How long does an e-bike battery last?
As a general rule, a good electric bicycle battery typically lasts around 2-5 years.
(https://www.raleigh.co.uk/gb/en/electric-bike-knowledge/electric-bike-batteries/)

Combine the two statements to deduce the expected life of a Raleigh ebike.

I'm happy to say our 2017 model Motus we bought used in 2018 is still going strong, including the battery.

Advertisers