New Bosch motors

Darren Hayward

Pedelecer
Mar 25, 2015
I've just seen an advert for the 2020 model of my 2019 Cube Hybrid touring pro. It states it has a 3rd generation 65nm torque motor. Is this the 2020CX motor? The Bosch website and several revue sites all describe the 2020CX as 75nm, although the revue sites articles were all written in mid 2019.

I ask partly because I've compared pictures of the 2 bikes side by side and the motors look identical.

Any comments?

Darren

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Darren Hayward

Pedelecer
Mar 25, 2015
Thankyou. So its a performance line Cruise, which I'd never heard of before I just read about it.

I wonder if it will fit on my current bike? The motor shapes look very similar.

Darren

mimichris

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 11, 2020
There should be no difference in power between that of 2019 and that of 2020, mine of 2019 "Performance Line Cx" BDU250P CX, is given for 75Nm.

Darren Hayward

Pedelecer
Mar 25, 2015
There should be no difference in power between that of 2019 and that of 2020, mine of 2019 "Performance Line Cx" BDU250P CX, is given for 75Nm.
The 65Nm motor appears to be a new motor in the performance line called a Cruise and not a 2020CX. I've not read anything about it anywhere but Cube are putting it on their bikes instead of the ALP. If it really is a 65Nm, no pedal resistance motor I'd say the ALP was extinct.

Darren

Reactions: Andy McNish

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
The 65Nm motor appears to be a new motor in the performance line called a Cruise and not a 2020CX. I've not read anything about it anywhere but Cube are putting it on their bikes instead of the ALP. If it really is a 65Nm, no pedal resistance motor I'd say the ALP was extinct.
Not so, if range is more important Bosch are showing a potential range difference of 20 km between the two motors, also not everyone wants or uses that must assistance, this forum has ALP users who even ride their bikes with the motor turned off for most of the time, so they're unlikely to want the higher performance of the CX motor.

Darren Hayward

Pedelecer
Mar 25, 2015
The Cruise can also be ridden with the motor turned off, which is my point. It would be more powerful on the hills using the higher settings and could be ridden in the lower power settings with only slightly higher support than an ALP and minimal range loss.

I still think it beats an ALP hands down.

Darren

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
The Cruise can also be ridden with the motor turned off, which is my point. It would be more powerful on the hills using the higher settings and could be ridden in the lower power settings with only slightly higher support than an ALP and minimal range loss.

Darren
I'm sure that any model can be ridden with the motor turned off. I ride my Cube with CX about 15 - 20% of the time with the motor switched off. It's like riding my normal MTB with a 10kg pannier on it.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009

Unless it comes with a significant price difference. certainly it gives you more options, I particularly like the up to 120 rpm cadence over the ALP's 100 rpm.

it is i footpump

Pedelecer
Jul 6, 2018
last year met someone who had a cube active line 5onm 2o18 model which had the newer moter large front chainring vs my ktm active line 2016 , small front sprocket.
does the new 65 nm bike have a large front chainring.

I use sport turbo as its hilly in my area, I do notice the difference between 5o active line and my 60 nm Carrera tcx equipped bike

it is i footpump

Pedelecer
Jul 6, 2018
last year met someone who had a cube active line 5onm 2o18 model which had the newer moter large front chainring vs my ktm active line 2016 , small front sprocket.
does the new 65 nm bike have a large front chainring.

I use sport turbo as its hilly in my area, I do notice the difference between 5o active line and my 60 nm Carrera tcx equipped bike

Darren Hayward

Pedelecer
Mar 25, 2015
The Cube has a 38t chainring.

I've also looked at the ranges of the two motors. On my set up the ALP has an estimated range of 37 miles, actual is 40 to 42. The new motor has an estimated Range of 34. It doesn't look that much different.

Darren

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018

Darren
It sounds like an upgraded ALP, subject to any weight and cost issues.
If they cost and weigh the same and are both zero resist then perhaps Cruise will replace the ALP in future generations.