New controller + LCD ordered from China

RikardLandi

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 19, 2020
Hi,

I just ordered a new controller + LCD with throttle from China, I am very curious how it will work. :)
From the spec. it sounds good, it has separate output for light/horn accessories, you can disable the speed limit, you can make the engine go reverse, you have a "cruise"-option, you can activate the engine from stand still etc.

There seems to be so many questions out there on how to make your bike go faster and to disable the speed limit, the easiest thing must be to order a Controller where you can disable the speed limit or?

I attach a picture of the schematics of the controller I ordered + some information about the settings.
Since it is from China, the language and quality of the description is not the best, but anyhow I think it is somehow understandable.34152

Attachments

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
There seems to be so many questions out there on how to make your bike go faster and to disable the speed limit, the easiest thing must be to order a Controller where you can disable the speed limit or?
This works for some bikes, but not for all. You may find this thread helpful with your conversion.

Reactions: RikardLandi

jokskot

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2018
Hi,

I just ordered a new controller + LCD with throttle from China, I am very curious how it will work. :)
From the spec. it sounds good, it has separate output for light/horn accessories, you can disable the speed limit, you can make the engine go reverse, you have a "cruise"-option, you can activate the engine from stand still etc.

I attach a picture of the schematics of the controller I ordered + some information about the settings.
Since it is from China, the language and quality of the description is not the best, but anyhow I think it is somehow understandable.View attachment 34152

jokskot

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2018
Interesting. Who are you buying from (via eBay or AliExpress?)? And what is the cost?

jokskot

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2018
Excellent deal. Presumably you already have a PAS for the bottom bracket and brake "switches" to cut the motor?
I'll perhaps contact you again in a couple of months to see if the product meets expectation.
J

RikardLandi

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 19, 2020
Yes, I already have a PAS on the bottom bracket.

Brake switches I do unfortunately not have, my bike is a three-wheeler (cargobike) with hydraulic disc brakes on both front wheels.

Maybe I will install a simple button switch on the handlebar as a brake switch for cutting the motor.

However, reading the description on the controller it says :

So sounds abit that the e-brakes are working similar to a throttle, but for braking instead of accelerating
I will check it when the controller arrives, maybe I will buy another throttle to install on the handlebar used for braking.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The need for a brake switch/cut off is only needed if a throttle is fitted.
A brake cut off over rides the throttle to prevent the controller from going up in smoke, without the brake cut off the controller will burn out.
Moisture or a wire fault can affect throttles and if this occurs you get full power and no means of cutting the power, the only answer then is to use the brake and without a cut out the controller will burn out as mentioned leaving you stranded with no power.

jokskot

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2018
I bow to your experience on this Nealh, but I would have thought a brake linked cut-off, on at least the brake you always use, was essential whether or not a throttle is fitted in order to "kill" the motor, rather than wait the second or so it takes for the motor to cut off after you stop pedalling.
btw cut-off sensors using a magnet and switch on the brake levers are available inexpensively (<£12 a pair on eBay).

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Some controllers do have slight over run on but the power/current is low so normal brake use shouldn't cause any damage, it is the throttle when it fails defaults to max power current. It is this max current that causes controller burn out if brakes are used without the cut out.

Advertisers