New electric kit not working

gullarm

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 11, 2014
Hi been hovering on here for a few months and finally decided to get my bike sorted.

Bought a kit off eBay -http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161432911474?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&var=460473598230&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I can't for the life of me get it working.

The only things I can think of are : -

I'm using quite a low Ah batterys 3 x 12 volt 2.8Ah - just to get me going and make sure it all works! I have another bank too make a total 36V 5.6Ah but the other bank needs wiring up.

When I measure across the thumb throttle it measures 2.5Volts when I turn on the power switch. Now I have read that if the controller detects too high a voltage on start up it won't run. Activating the thumb throttle has no effect on the voltage down the control wire. If I measure as resistance across any of the 3 wires they are all open circuit.

Also perhaps the speed controller has some kind of interlock, there are a few wires that I don't understand what they do, I think speed control and auto cruise function, and another one I cant figure out.

There is another cable that is called the 3 speed cable low/med/high this is not connected to anything? Does it need to be connected.

The kit I bought they swapped out the twist throttle for a thumb throttle so they sent me a different speed controller the only markings on it is ELB2014 - after a bit of research I think its a jasontroller ( what ever that is ) - got the info from : -http://www.etotheipiplusone.net/?p=2799

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/36V-250W-6Mosfets-E-Bike-Motor-Controller-LED-meter-/131305676205?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item1e926d9dad

I have emailed the seller but really want to get this sorted this weekend so I can go to work on Monday without dying on route.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Disconnect everything from the controller except the motor, battery and the control panel. Switch it on and measure the voltage between the red and black throttle wires on the controller.

Plug in the throttle and measure them again while plugged.

With the throttle still plugged in, measure between the black and third wire.

Hold the throttle fully open and measure the voltage between those wires again.

You don't need anything else plugged in for it to work.

gullarm

Oct 11, 2014
The voltage between the red and black throttle wires on the controller.

4.61V

3.61V

0.88V

0.88V - no change

From this I deduce the speed controller is goosed - the strange thing is when I plugged in the cable for the speed controller whilst everything was powered up the rotor span for about 10 degrees of rotation. I managed to do it once more but that was it.

I'm now going to dismantle the thumb throttle and see if anything is amiss inside.

Is there anyway of bypassing it or is it a case of a new one. I was hoping to be cruising to work tomorrow.

gullarm

Oct 11, 2014
The voltage between the red and black throttle wires on the controller.

4.61V

3.61V

0.88V

0.88V - no change

From this I deduce the speed controller is goosed - the strange thing is when I plugged in the cable for the speed controller whilst everything was powered up the rotor span for about 10 degrees of rotation. I managed to do it once more but that was it.

I'm now going to dismantle the thumb throttle and see if anything is amiss inside.

Is there anyway of bypassing it or is it a case of a new one. I was hoping to be cruising to work tomorrow.

D

Deleted member 4366

Unplug the throttle and use a small screwdriver to short the red wire to the signal wire. The motor should kick in at full speed. Be careful not to short the red to the black.

D

Deleted member 4366

Did you check that the throttle wires are in the same sequence as rge controller, i.e. red to red, black to black and signal to signal?

gullarm

Oct 11, 2014
Its definitely the thumb throttle.

Shorted out the wires and it worked.

The wires out of the control box are red - green - black

The thumb throttle matching wires are orange(y) - blue - white

So may be a crossed wire in the connector block.

At least I know the speed controller hasn't gone pop.

Can get it all back on the bike now and rig up an on/off switch, just need to sort out the front disc brakes which don't match. I have a 180mm rotor on the front and the kit came with a 160mm but the mounting bolts are 90mm apart and I cant find a rotor with this type of 90mm mounting configuration. And its a few mm off ( few washers to pad out the disc will sort that )

My Bike : - http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/carrera-kraken-mountain-bike-2011-2012-large-20

D

Deleted member 4366

Your throttle will most likely work if you find the correct combination. There's only nine possible combinations. You can find the correct one if you dismantle the throttle to see which wire is connected to which pin of the actual hall sensor, otherwise it's trial and error.

If you look at it from the front, the 5v is the left pin, ground in the middle and signal on the right.

To swap the pins over in the connector, you have to depress the barbs with a darning needle or tiny screwdriver - anything thin and stiff.

Advertisers